This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7126 / 50°42'45"N
Longitude: -2.3439 / 2°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 375817
OS Northings: 90383
OS Grid: SY758903
Mapcode National: GBR 0ZN.86V
Mapcode Global: FRA 57Z6.8P6
Entry Name: Woodsford Castle
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155314
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106403
Location: Woodsford, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Woodsford
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Woodsford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 79 SE
9/214 Woodsford Castle
Surviving range of fortified manor house. C14 - licence to crenellate
granted to William de Whitefield 1335. Roughly coursed rough ashlar walls.
Thatched roofs, part hipped, part with coped gables. Stone stacks rising
from eaves, 2 at front, 2 at rear. Part 2-storey, part now 3-storey.
Originally first floor hall plan, over vaulted undercroft. Attic floor
inserted in hall, floor levels altered, and roof rebuilt in C17. Possibly
once formed a 3 or 4-sided courtyard house. At left end of main range a
projecting C17 wing, of 3 storeys. In main range a chamfered string course
at original first floor level. On ground floor, near left end, a ledged
door in 4-centred arched opening, approached up a flight of stone steps,
gives access to hall. Nearer right end, 2 similar doors at ground level,
give access to service rooms in undercroft. Stone corbels above these,
possibly for former pentice. Left of hall door, 2 slit windows. Right of
it one slit window and a C17 four-light stone mullioned window. One slit
window right of the lower doors. 2 C17 stone mullioned windows cut into the
original string course. Right of these, above string course, 2 C14
mullioned and transomed. windows - one 2-light and one 1-light, with
trefoiled lights. On present 3rd floor (above hall) 3 C17 mullioned windows
with lead lights. At right end of main range a D-shaped stair turret,
giving access to rooms at right end of building. External steps up to
ledged door. Right of the main range a lower, 2-storeyed range, - probably
servants' rooms. At right end of this, remains of former turret, with
4-centred arched opening. In this range a ledged door in 4-centred arched
opening with slightly projecting surround. 2 slit windows on ground floor.
On first floor, 2 mullioned and transomed windows, one 2-light and one
1-light, with trefoiled lights. In left (north) end wall, and in rear wall,
a C14 window, 2-light mullioned and transomed window, upper lights ogee
headed, lower lights shouldered arched. Various inserted C17 windows.
Along rear wall, stone corbels at eaves level, probably for former parapet.
Remains of turrets on this wall. Internally, ground floor vaulted
throughout. Remains of large kitchen fireplace opening, with stone arch.
Hall, at north end, has inserted ceiling, cutting off heads of original
windows. Stone fireplace, with joggled lintel on moulded corbels. Off the
hall at north east corner, a garderobe chamber, with chute, and wall basin.
Spiral stairs to roof at north end of hall. 4-centred archway into stair
hall - this, and adjoining bathroom the original chapel, with ogee arched
piscina. Stone stairs in stair hall probably in original position (RCHM).
Solar, or Queen's room beyond chapel has squint into chapel. Rooms at south
end unoccupied for a long period; largely unaltered except for changes of
floor level. Several original door openings. A medieval house of
considerable interest. (RCHM Monument 2. Dorset Vol II)
Listing NGR: SY7582090377
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings