History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newton Greens Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3386 / 55°20'19"N

Longitude: -1.7482 / 1°44'53"W

OS Eastings: 416070

OS Northings: 604984

OS Grid: NU160049

Mapcode National: GBR J67Q.B1

Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.32SN

Entry Name: Newton Greens Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236852

Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newton on the Moor

Listing Text

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON GREENS
NU 10 SE
6/183 Newton Greens
Farmhouse
II

Bastle house. Late C16 or early C17, altered 1668 and again in C18 and C19;
rear wing added and east end rebuilt; south elevation remodelled 1889.
Large rubble on boulder plinth, heightened in square tooled stone; 1889 parts
have tooled ashlar dressings. Pantiles to front roof slope, Welsh slates to
rear, asbestos sheets on outshut. 2 stacks rebuilt in brick. T-plan; front
block c.17 x 6.5 metres.

2 storeys, 3 bays; roughly-shaped bastle quoins to left and tooled C19 quoins
to right. Centre bay has 5-panel door in chamfered surround with flat-pointed
head, dated 1889, sharing common hoodmould with 4-pane casement immediately
F
to left; above is a re-set lintel inscribed M M 1668 and, to left, jambs of
original upper door. 8-pane Yorkshire sash windows in chamfered surrounds;
end bay ground-floor windows with hoodmoulds, 1st floor under blind slits in
gabled half dormers. End gables and dormers coped on moulded kneelers.
Stepped-and-corniced left end stack, rebuilt stepped-and-banded right end
stack.

Right return shows 8-pane casement with 8-pane Yorkshire sash over, in 1889
surrounds. Left return shows C18 pent outshut, with 8-pane casement set in
former doorway with timber lintel; reverse-stepped coping to ends. Rear
elevation shows blocked slit vent to bastle byre on right of wing, with
blocked window above.

Interior largely late C19; bastle walls 1.0 metre thick.

Attached farm buildings to rear are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NU1607004984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.