History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tetbury Upton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6563 / 51°39'22"N

Longitude: -2.1737 / 2°10'25"W

OS Eastings: 388078

OS Northings: 195288

OS Grid: ST880952

Mapcode National: GBR 1NS.389

Mapcode Global: VH95C.8MPP

Entry Name: Upton House

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155320

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128625

Location: Tetbury Upton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Tetbury Upton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tetbury

Listing Text

ST 89 NE TETBURY UPTON TETBURY UPTON VILLAGE

3/348 Upton House

6.9.54


GV II*


Large country house. 1752 for Nathaniel Cripps, possibly by John
Strahan, or John Wood. Coursed rubble stone with south front faced
in ashlar, Cotswold stone-slate roof, multiple stone stacks.
Square with entrance on west side under late C19 porch with
rusticated pilasters, and main front to south. Symmetrical design
in Classical style. 3 storeys, 7 windows. Projecting moulded
cornice with dentils, balustraded parapet, pediment with coat of
arms in tympanum over 3 central projecting bays with 4 Ionic
pilasters. Rusticated ground floor and quoin strips. Ground
floor has central semi-circular headed doorway with pediment on
brackets and double half-glazed doors and keystone and voussoirs,
flanking 12-pane sashes on central projection and two 15-pane
sashes to each side all with keystones and voussoirs. 1st floor
has seven 12-pane sashes, each flanked with Ionic pilasters with
cornice and pediment, (central pediment being segmental) and with
balustraded apron. 2nd (attic) floor has 3 oval keyed oculi in
centre with moulded architraves, and to each side 2 cambered head
windows with keystone, impost blocks and moulded architrave. All
with plain glass.
Interior on south side: Central 2-storey saloon with very fine
original plasterwork in Classical design with fluted Corinthian
pilasters, pedimented doorcases, swags of fruit and flowers, Rococo
panels and central fireplace with carved head in centre. Single
storey room to each side, altered to left but intact to right with
similar quality and style plasterwork. (David Verey, Buildings of
England, Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST8807895288

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.