History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Retaining Wall 40m North West of Woodlands Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodlands, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8734 / 50°52'24"N

Longitude: -1.9367 / 1°56'11"W

OS Eastings: 404552

OS Northings: 108216

OS Grid: SU045082

Mapcode National: GBR 427.36D

Mapcode Global: FRA 66TS.RB5

Entry Name: Retaining Wall 40m North West of Woodlands Farm House

Listing Date: 4 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107625

Location: Woodlands, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Woodlands

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Woodlands The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Horton

Listing Text

SU OO NW WOODLANDS WOODLANDS FARM

5/166 Retaining wall 40 m
north west of Woodlands
16.5.85 Farm House

GV II

Retaining wall. Early C16 or earlier, raised c.1710 and C19. Large squared
stone blocks laid to courses; raised in thin red bricks laid English bond (C18)
and larger bricks laid Flemish bond (C19). Extends south towards west wall
of north block of house (5/163), and east in line with north end of Woodlands
Farmhouse. Probably originated as north west corner of range parallel to present
farmhouse part of same building as north part of 5/163, but different materials
suggest possibility of yet earlier origin. Raising of c.1710 (dated by com-
parison with other buildings on site) probably connected with reconstruction of
early range as one of two office ranges flanking approach to main house of
c.1710; demolished by c.1840 after which what survives has functioned as a
retaining wall. Two offset foundation courses, returning eastwards parallel
to slope of ground to meet level square offset which on west defines a plinth.
(For general history of site see RCHM Dorset 5 (1975), p.112.)


Listing NGR: SU0455208216

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.