History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkend Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Valence, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.794 / 51°47'38"N

Longitude: -2.3247 / 2°19'28"W

OS Eastings: 377705

OS Northings: 210639

OS Grid: SO777106

Mapcode National: GBR 0KJ.F3V

Mapcode Global: VH94P.N5DL

Entry Name: Parkend Bridge House

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155439

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132481

Location: Moreton Valence, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Moreton Valence

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Moreton Valence St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Framilode

Listing Text

MORETON VALENCE -
SO 71 SE
3/222 Parkend Bridge House
II
Bridgekeeper's house at Parkend Bridge on Gloucester and Sharpness
Canal. Early C19, enlarged probably in C20. Designed possibly by
Robert Mylne, first principal engineer to the Gloucester and
Berkeley Canal Company. Rendered, artificial slate roof, small
rendered stacks. Originally probably in same style as other
bridgekeepers' houses, a small cruciform structure with shallow
pediment to each face presenting single storey towards canal with 2
storeys to remaining sides, but altered to canal (west), and to
north with extension with three 16-pane sashes towards canal.
Pediment with plain frieze and cornice remains to canal, with 2
Doric fluted columns, but not in antis. Probably original 6-pane
door behind columns, middle pair of panels glazed. Small rear
lean-to and scattered fenestration. Survey work for the original
canal route from Gloucester to Berkeley was carried out in 1793 by
Mylne. In 1813 the terminal point was changed to Sharpness and the
canal opened in 1827.
(Sharpness, centenary booklet, 1974, published by British Waterways
Board)


Listing NGR: SO7770510639

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.