History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walled Garden 450 Metres South East of the Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3328 / 55°19'58"N

Longitude: -1.7334 / 1°44'0"W

OS Eastings: 417013

OS Northings: 604336

OS Grid: NU170043

Mapcode National: GBR J6BS.J5

Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.B7T4

Entry Name: Walled Garden 450 Metres South East of the Hall

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236861

Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newton on the Moor

Listing Text

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE
6/192 Walled garden
450 metres south-
east of the Hall

II

Walled garden. Late C18, altered late C19. Brick in stretcher bond, with
stone dressings and squared stone external face. Irregular quadrangle in
plan. Tall walls with flat slab coping. Main entrance near north end of
west wall has re-set 1771 lintel externally and internal carved timber lintel
dated MCM on carved corbels with initials SFW and CW; older slab with
Widdrington crest above, under raised and stepped section of wall with moulded
finial. Near north end of east wall is large circular doorway to rebuilt
timber summerhouse. Lower south wall has central gateway with pyramid-capped
piers of tooled-and-margined ashlar; set in external face east of gate is
1757 sundial in dentil brick surround, and lionmask fountain in pedimented
surround under coping stepped up to acorn finial. L-shaped extension of east
wall beyond south-east corner has boarded door in alternating-block surround
with Widdrington arms above and blocking course with acorn finial. External
face of north wall shows blocked ducts and furnace arches; 4 shaped ceramic
chimneypots on wall top.
West part of south wall, with attached ruinous greenhouses and outbuildings,
is not of interest.


Listing NGR: NU1701304336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.