This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7486 / 51°44'54"N
Longitude: -2.1435 / 2°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 390189
OS Northings: 205549
OS Grid: SO901055
Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.BW2
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.S9PX
Entry Name: The Chantry
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132604
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Built-Up Area: Bisley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT FAR WELLS ROAD, Bisley Village
13/48 The Chantry
Large detached house. Part medieval, extensively rebuilt mid C17;
to form L-plan. Late C19 addition. Random and coursed rubble
limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Main east-west
range, 2-storey with attic; central south wing. North side: 2-
storey gabled porch to right of centre with square-headed chamfered
opening with hoodmould; similar doorway within has mutilated
remains of Agnus Dei carved on stone lintel. Three-light recessed
chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds either side of porch.
Single-storey outbuilding projects forward to left from below upper
floor 2-light to main range. Three ridge-mounted chimneys with
moulded caps. South side: single-window fenestration to main
range set either side of central late C19 projecting wing, C19
mullioned casement to ground floor, 2 and 3-light original
casements above. Two end gables to C19 wing, right set back, each
with mullioned or transomed fenestration. West end: parapet
gabled end with off-centre ground floor single-light casement;
gable-mounted chimney with moulded cap. Interior not inspected.
Thought originally to have been the house of chantry priests, the
chantry being that at the Church of All Saints (q.v.) demolished in
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)
Listing NGR: SO9018905549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings