This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0267 / 55°1'36"N
Longitude: -2.1435 / 2°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 390922
OS Northings: 570251
OS Grid: NY909702
Mapcode National: GBR FBG9.QV
Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.1XKB
Entry Name: Chesters
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239978
Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Humshaugh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warden
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Country house, 1771 by John Carr for John Clayton, remodelled with major
extensions 1891 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. Square 1771
block with 5 1891 wings, 3 set diagonally at angles and 2 to rear; extensions
in earlier C18 style.
South front in 3 parts: centre is 1771 house, 3 storeys, 4 bays, symmetrical.
Central Tuscan porch with cornice extended over narrow sashes to either sides,
and pediment; doorway now holds 9-pane sash. End bays have full-height canted
bay windows with band and sill bands, and pyramidal roofs. 12-pane sashes to
lower floors, 6-pane above. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped roof with tall
corniced lateral stacks. Wings each 2 storeys, 3 bays + 1 bay link to centre:
plinth, sill bands, moulded eaves cornice. Broad end pilasters with channeled
rustication. Ground floors of link bays with rustication forming voussoirs of
arched openings with double doors and radial-glazed fanlights; each wing has
central tripartite sash on ground floor, 12-pane sashes above, all in rusticated
surrounds, the lower with keystones. Hipped roofs. Returns show triplets of
West front shows similar detail in curved facade, the centre 3 bays recessed
behind giant Ionic colonnade in antis, with paired sashes; oculi in attics.
Scattered fenestration in wings.
Rear elevation. Centre 1771 block has Ionic loggia with paired columns in
antis (centre bay now glazed); tripartite stair window under round arch above,
flanked by 12- and 8-pane sashes; 6- and 4- pane sashes to 2nd floors. Wings
have pedimented gables with oculi; returns show Venetian windows in heavy
Interior: Entrance hall with Roman Doric screen and Shaw-type freestone
fireplace. Large panelled library, dining room and drawing room; all decorative
features by Shaw in pastiche of C18 style, but on a larger scale. Groin-
vaulted lobbies between principal rooms. Stair with very slender turned
balusters, ramped moulded handrail and carved tread ends.
Listing NGR: NY9092270251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings