This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6903 / 51°41'25"N
Longitude: -1.6784 / 1°40'42"W
OS Eastings: 422323
OS Northings: 199107
OS Grid: SU223991
Mapcode National: GBR 5V5.VX8
Mapcode Global: VHC0B.VSJ3
Entry Name: The Trout Inn
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128973
Location: Lechlade, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Lechlade
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Lechlade St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SU 29 NW LECHLADE A417
9/128 The Trout Inn
Inn. Originally founded c1229 to care for workmen on St. John's
Bridge, actual building probably partly dating from that period but
mostly late medieval, with late C18 addition on main frontage to
north, and several late additions to rear not of special interest.
Coursed rubble stone, slate roof and brick end stacks to northern
addition, stone slate roof and large rear stone lateral stack with
offsets. Single main range in 2 sections, with lean-to to older
part and various rear extensions. Older section to south of 2
storeys and attic, scattered fenestration mostly renewed 2 or 3-
light casements under timber lintels with C20 door on south end.
Later section of 2 storeys with two 12-pane sashes on each floor,
longer on ground floor, with half-glazed C19 door and gabled'porch
Interior has low chamfered beam along length of older section.
Originally an almshouse and hospital founded in early C13,
continuing after dissolution of nearby Priory in 1472/3 as inn
known as 'Ye Sygne of St John Baptist Head', name changed to Trout
Inn in 1704.
Listing NGR: SU2232399107
Other nearby listed buildings