History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Four Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Oswald, South of South Transept and Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Shipton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8654 / 51°51'55"N

Longitude: -1.9475 / 1°56'51"W

OS Eastings: 403710

OS Northings: 218535

OS Grid: SP037185

Mapcode National: GBR 3P7.0G9

Mapcode Global: VHB1Z.6C9V

Entry Name: Group of Four Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Oswald, South of South Transept and Chancel

Listing Date: 11 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129208

Location: Shipton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Shipton

Built-Up Area: Shipton (Cotswold)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Shipton Oliffe St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Andoversford

Listing Text

SP 01 NW SHIPTON SHIPTON OLIFFE

5/103 Group of four monuments in the
churchyard of the Church of
St. Oswald, south of south transept
and chancel
GV II

Two chest tombs and two pedestal tombs. C18 and C19.
1) Chest tomb clm south of south transept to George Fletcher, died
1821, and Elizabeth his wife. Limestone. Moulded plinth with
inscription panels either side (painted black presumably to
imitate slatestone). Fluted marginal panels on south. Stepped
and moulded pyramidal capping. Tomb lies on raised plinth,
formerly bounded by cast-iron railing.
2) Apsidal ended chest tomb c3m south of the preceding tomb to
Thomas Church of the Parish of Withington, died 1821, Mary his
wife, and Thomas Freeman, died 1781. Limestone. Moulded plinth.
Sunken inscription panels on sides. Inscription to Thomas Church
on north side. Illegible inscripton on south. Foliate scrollwork
set back either side. Illegible inscription on south side flanked
by linked chain work incorporating shell and flower motifs.
Fielded inscription panels at either end, hanging floral decoration
set back either side of inscription at east end. Draped decoration
in equivalent position at west end.
3) Pedestal tomb c4m south of the preceding tomb to Richard
Freeman. C18. Limestone. Fielded inscription panel on north
side. Stepped moulded capping.
4) Unidentified pedestal tomb c4m east of George Fletcher chest
tomb. C18. Illegible inscription panel on west side with
quadrant corners, egg and dart decoration to margin. Roundels at
each corner. Projecting pilasters either side also decorated with
small roundels. Frieze with hanging bellflower motif. Similar
inscription panels, without egg and dart moulding on north side.
Panel on east side with cross-shaped inscription panel. Plain
fluted panels either side. Three floral roundels on frieze above.
Capping with moulded top.


Listing NGR: SP0371018539

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.