History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.752 / 51°45'7"N

Longitude: -2.1395 / 2°8'22"W

OS Eastings: 390467

OS Northings: 205934

OS Grid: SO904059

Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.5X1

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.V7S7

Entry Name: Court House

Listing Date: 24 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155683

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132638

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Built-Up Area: Bisley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text


SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT HIGH STREET, Bisley Village
(east side)

13/81 Court House

GV II

Former court house, now exhibition hall with flat over. Dated 1865
for J.E. Dorington of Lypiatt Park (q.v.). Coursed and squared
limestone; Welsh slate roof. Two-storey. Stands forward of main
building line. Tudor Revival style. Front: 3 windows to ground
floor below continuous string course; central 3-light, outer 2-
light, all with Tudor arched heads. Two eaves-level parapet gabled
upper floor dormers with 2-light casements. Central carved panel
with Dorington arms and ribbon bands inscribed 'BISLEY COURT HOUSE'
and 'A.D.1865'. Parapet gabled ends, each with mullioned and
transomed upper floor casement. Stone steps lead to upper floor
doorway at south end; off-centre Tudor arched doorway to north end
with 2-light casement to left. Interior not inspected. Building
replaced small market hall formerly on this site. Partly used as
meeting room for local Board of Health.


Listing NGR: SO9046705934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.