This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0442 / 51°2'39"N
Longitude: -1.1495 / 1°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 459716
OS Northings: 127547
OS Grid: SU597275
Mapcode National: GBR 97S.J5X
Mapcode Global: FRA 86GC.CYW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Last Amended: 19 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145364
Location: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton Ampner All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 52 NE BRAMDEAN HINTON PARK
5/23 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
5.12.55 (formerly listed under Hinton
GV II* Ampner)
Parish Church. Saxon plan, some fabric, C13 chancel much restored early C19 and
1879 by C N Tripp. Squared flintwork, stone dressings, plain tile roof. Saxon
plan of nave and chancel, with chancel rebuilt C13, all rebuilt C19 with late C19
S porch, NW vestry and W tower. Chancel mostly C19 with pair of long E lancets,
2 recut C13 lancets on side walls, and SW corner priests door and low set lancet.
Nave rebuilt 1879 with 4 lancets to N, original S door reset as door to vestry,
3 lancets to S, and 2 to W end with trefoiled lancet between. Saxon NE corner
survives with long and short quoins, and E of it a pilaster strip, with similar
strip reset on S wall. S porch gabled with pointed arch and buttresses, and
vestry in NW corner under outshot roof, with steps to crypt to E side. W tower
has angle buttresses, and timber top stage in French style with steep hipped
shingle roof with finial and weathervane at either end of ridge. Inside chancel
recut C13 double piscina and sedilia, C17 panelling, reused, behind altar, C19
chancel arch and C18 roof with moulded ribs. N wall monuments: 1638 to a child
Stewkeley, painted marble and alabaster with effigy in recess and elaborate
Corinthian frame and pediment, 1820 to Lord Stawell and brasses, 1606 to William
Stewkeley, 1638 to Thomas Stewkeley, 1642 to Sir Hugo Stewkeley, 1648 to
Lady Elizabeth Stewkeley, 1667 Elizabeth Stewkeley. S wall monuments: 1601 to
infant Thomas Stewkeley, painted marble effigy beneath arch with pilasters
supporting cornice, 1719 to Sir Hugh Stewkeley restrained marble baroque design.
On floor stone lid to vault and stone 1692 to Charles Stewkeley. Nave C19 apart
from moved Saxon door to vestry, with straight jambs, long and short quoins and
round arch with chamfered label. Door panelled oak, inscribed 'Nicholas Lacy
gave this door February 1643'. S wall monuments: 1764 to Henry B Legge, white
marble, large tablet with Ionic columns and pediment, and 2 monuments moved from
Laverstoke, Hants: 1672 to Sir J Trott, grey and white marble tablet with garlands,
1679 to daughter Lady Katherine Stewkeley, possibly by John Bushnell, marble bust
in niche with curtains and above pair of unusual urns. In vestry base of old font.
3 bells, 1610 and 2 of 1603. Grade II* by merit of memorials. VCH; 1908; Vol 3;
p 322. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 294.
Listing NGR: SU6172227506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings