History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Block and Chapel at Queen Anne's School

A Grade II Listed Building in Thames, Reading

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4705 / 51°28'13"N

Longitude: -0.9682 / 0°58'5"W

OS Eastings: 471762

OS Northings: 175116

OS Grid: SU717751

Mapcode National: GBR QM8.L9

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.59HL

Entry Name: Main Block and Chapel at Queen Anne's School

Listing Date: 14 December 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155905

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38971

Location: Reading, RG4

County: Reading

Electoral Ward/Division: Thames

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Caversham Thameside and Mapledurham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Caversham

Listing Text

HENLEY ROAD
1.
5128
Main block and chapel
at Queen Anne's School
SU 7175 10/498
II
2.
'U' plan of Amersham Hall (1870s) by Alfred Waterhouse for Mr West retained.
Altered and extended by Joseph Morris 1893-1896 and again between the wars.
South front; symmetrical 2 1/2 and 3 storeys block, red brick with stone quoins
and dressings and occasional blue-black diapers. 5 bays. 4 gables, the 2
principal ones project and flank central gabled porch. Coped gables with
moulded kneelers and brick block cornice returns. Moulded string over ground
floor. Slate roof grooved chimneys at sides of gables. Mullioned casement
windows with stop chamfered reveals, brick relieving arches over. Caernavron
arch fanlight over door. Porch flanked by tall single light windows, 3 light
window over central blind window which contains monogram panel. [? EMM over
86 ? in leafy relief]. Secondary porch at angle of right hand bay and principal
right hand gable. Chapel added by Sir Reginald Bloomfield 1893 - red brick
with stone dressings and dividing buttresses. Slate roof with parapet to south.
3 bay aisled nave with chancel. Interior of school altered, but hall retains
Gothic fireplace and some heating fixtures.


Listing NGR: SU7176275116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.