History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aldershot Methodist Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushmoor, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2486 / 51°14'55"N

Longitude: -0.7676 / 0°46'3"W

OS Eastings: 486109

OS Northings: 150662

OS Grid: SU861506

Mapcode National: GBR D9R.QQB

Mapcode Global: VHDXW.NW15

Entry Name: Aldershot Methodist Church

Listing Date: 30 April 1981

Last Amended: 10 February 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155955

English Heritage Legacy ID: 137856

Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11

County: Hampshire

District: Rushmoor

Town: Rushmoor

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellington

Built-Up Area: Aldershot

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Aldershot Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Aldershot

Listing Text

ALDERSHOT
Grosvenor Road
5238
SV 8650 (West side)
5/32 Aldershot Methodist Church
30.4.81 II*


Non-conformist church (Methodist). 1875 (foundation stone). Local sandstone
rubble with bathstone dressings, part brick at rear, slate roofs and crested ridge
tiles. Nave with aisles, transepts, chancel, north-west tower. Mixed Gothic in
character with Early Engilsh, Decorated and Perpendicular features. Main west
window in good Early English with portal below. Another portal to 4 stage corner
tower, lancet to second stage, triple lancet to third stage, clock, arcaded top in
ashlar with crocketted pinnacles. Queens Road front has 3 aisle gables with
reticulated windows; transept with large paired windows and rose above. Interior:
Open and spacious with open hammerbeam roof. Very slender paired cast iron columns
support 5 bay arcade of striped brick and stone pointed arches with clerestory
above. Single taller column to the larger transept arches. Stone arch to polygonal
chancel. Chancel lit by triple lancets. West gallery. Organ of 1906. Choir
stalls and lectern 1932. otherwise pine furnishings which are apparently original.
Transept galleries may have been removed. A little altered and decoratively
designed Methodist church built for the important Victorian town of Aldershot. The
exterior has important townscape value and is the only significant tower in the
town.

Listing NGR: SU8612950636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.