This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4036 / 52°24'13"N
Longitude: 1.3007 / 1°18'2"E
OS Eastings: 624623
OS Northings: 283529
OS Grid: TM246835
Mapcode National: GBR VK4.CN7
Mapcode Global: VHL94.HVH7
Entry Name: Reydon House
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 225947
Location: Redenhall with Harleston, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP20
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Redenhall with Harleston
Built-Up Area: Harleston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 2483 29/148
REDENHALL WITH HARLESTON, Harleston
REDENHALL ROAD (west side),
No 1 (Reydon House)
House. Late C15/early C16 with C17 extension and C18 and later alterations. Timber-framed, stuccoed and with C18 fenestration. Steeply pitched slate roof to front slope, otherwise pantile. Two storeys and attic with attic window in left gable end. Plan of main range facing street with adjoining parallel rear wings. Front is of five windows, 6/6 sashes in exposed casing. Central doorway with moulded case with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, flush panelled and glazed door, good porch of wood fretwork with tent-shaped roof, and approached by five moulded stone steps. Wood string course at first floor level. Rear has large two-storeyed wings, plastered timber-framing, with steeply pitched pantile roof with gabled end, casement windows. Brick chimney stacks. The later C17 inner wing is of brick with a fine chequerwork brick front and has mullion and transom windows and also 4 probably original 9/9 sashes with crown glass and thick glazing bars.
INTERIOR. The very interesting interior includes a considerable amount of late C15/early C16 timber framing. This is visible or is partly so under floor boards. In the main range above the present ground floor plastered ceilngs survive the beamed ceilings of the early high status house. These have moulded and possibly carved bridging beams and moulded joists and the rooms are both high and large. The roof above the main range appears to have been renewed in the C17. The longer and outer rear wing, however, retains its original crown post roof with coupled rafters, and 4 simple crown posts supporting the collar purlin. In this wing is visible close studded framing of heavy scantling on both floors and above the present plastered ceilings the original bridging beams and joists survive, reported as unmoulded. Moreover an unusual low pitched ceiling has recently been further revealed on the first floor. This has moulded beams and joists and is unusual because it appears to be a consciously designed ceiling inserted under the tie beams of the crown post roof as if for a study or cabinet. The back stairs are also reported as surviving intact. Another ceiling at present revealed has closely spaced flat-faced joists. The beams and joists also survive in the inner wing which is probably late C17.
The front left reception retains fine complete panelling in C17 style but which appears to have been installed in the 1860's. The front right reception room has has an early C19 fireplace. On the first floor the right gable end has a jowled post with curved braces visible. A rear wing main reception room has an open fireplace with moulded bressumer. Many 2-panel doors and cupboard doors.
Percy Millican in op. cit., p.342, links this house with the Gawdy family, prominent in Norfolk and Suffolk in the late C15 and C16/C17. Robert Gawdy died at nearby Redenhall in 1459. His descendent, Thomas Gawdy, born c.1476, died 1556, is described as Bailiff of Harleston in 1509. His eldest son was Thomas, Recorder of Norwich and Lynn mid C16, and his other two sons, Sir Thomas Gawdy, Justice of the Queen's Bench and Sir Francis Gawdy, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas.
This significant house retains a considerable amount of the structure of a high status house of the late C15/early C16 as well as good features of later periods.
Millican, P., F.S.A., Papers of Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Soc., Vol.XXVI, Part I, 1936, pp.335-90, 'The Gawdys of Norfolk and Suffolk'.
Listing NGR: TM2462383529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings