This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6992 / 51°41'57"N
Longitude: -1.832 / 1°49'55"W
OS Eastings: 411706
OS Northings: 200060
OS Grid: SP117000
Mapcode National: GBR 3R9.KLV
Mapcode Global: VHB2T.6KB8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129083
Location: Maiseyhampton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Maiseyhampton
Built-Up Area: Meysey Hampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Meysey Hampton with Marston Meysey
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 10 SW MAISEYHAMPTON CHURCH STREET
4/241 Meysey Hampton
Church of St Mary the Virgin
Small Anglican Church. C13, consecrated in 1269, with alterations
of C14 mainly to chancel, restored 1872-4 by James Brooks. Rubble
stone partly coursed with small sloping buttresses to east and
south ends, stone slate roof with coped verges arid cross finials.
Mainly Early English, with some Decorated work. Cruciform with nave
and chancel, north and south transepts and crossing tower, south
porch, and late north vestry in different stone with catslide roof.
Crossing tower of one stage, square with twin belfrey lancets on
each face with sill band, string course above and embattled parapet
with corner gargoyles. Nave and transepts have single or twin
lancets with string course below. Gabled porch in centre of south
wall with Early English moulded archway. Chancel has three 2-
light C14 windows on south side, one twin trefoil-head in arched
surround nearest crossing, and two twin ogee-head in square moulded
surrounds, that in centre cut short by projection of tomb recess in
chancel. East window of 3 lights with 3 tiers of trefoils above
and double border of ballflowers.
Interior: Nave roof of 5 bays, restored and lowered probably in
1870s but reusing original medieval curved bracing to tie beams.
Wagon roofs to transepts and chancel. Simple pointed-arch crossing
with 4 triple stepped arches carried on angled piers with polygonal
attached columns on inner faces. Shouldered arch above facing nave
originally reached by stairway from nave into ringing chamber of
tower. Chancel has restored tomb recess in north east corner
possibly of c1310 with cusped cinquefoil canopy, ogee arch and
shield panels to chest. On wall behind is a triple hagioscope
originally affording view of chancel from side chapel since
removed. On south side, 4 crocketed and pinnacleti canopies of C14
with piscina and credence and 3 sedilia, adjoined by ogee tomb
recess which projects out at back of wall. Fragments of medieval
stained glass set into several chancel windows including complete
quatrefoil of St Michael in south east corner. North transept has
several wall memorials including very large painted stone memorial
to Dr James Vaulx shown with 2 wives as 3 half length portrait
effigies and predella panels of kneeling children, of c1625.
Lectern inscribed "Christian Jacketts 1622" with original chain for
bible. Almsbox predating 1547 edict for all boxes to have 3 locks
- this box has one. (D. Verey, Buildings of England:
Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1979.)------- -- ---------
Listing NGR: SP1170600060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings