History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitminster House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitminster, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7796 / 51°46'46"N

Longitude: -2.3496 / 2°20'58"W

OS Eastings: 375974

OS Northings: 209050

OS Grid: SO759090

Mapcode National: GBR 0KP.6T6

Mapcode Global: VH94P.7J6M

Entry Name: Whitminster House

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Last Amended: 9 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132543

Location: Whitminster, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Whitminster

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Whitminster St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

WHITMINSTER WHEATENHURST
SO 70 NE
6/285 Whitminster House
10.1.55
GV II*
Country house. Medieval core probably a hall house with solar in
south east corner, enlarged probably by Richard Bird in late C16,
and extended early C17 to north by his daughter. Extended to west
in late C17 by Lloyd family, refaced with sash windows to west and
south by Richard Owen Cambridge 1740-50, further remodelled to west
and south in Tudor style by Wilton family from 1867, occupied by
Teesdale family since 1884. Roughcast faced blue lias to east and
north, ashlar faced to west and south, mostly stone slate roof,
large rendered stack with moulded stone cap in angle to south east,
ashlar original end stack to early range now a ridge stack, 3
diagonally set ashlar flues on ridge stack to north west of C17,
C19 ashlar stacks to west and south ranges. Large E-shape with
double central range and small 2-storey porch between projecting
end ranges. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Entrance front to east
has 3 gables recessed between projecting gabled ends wings each
with nearly full height wide canted bays of C18 with sashes. Two
gables to left are earlier and have hollow moulded scattered 2-
light stone mullions, some restored and some with square
hoodmoulds. C17 ovolo mouldings to right. Each gable has pair of
roses in pargetting at apex from early C17, very unusual for
Gloucestershire. Junction of C16 and C17 work is obscured by 2-
storey gabled porch probably of C18 with moulded ashlar round
archway and single stone framed light over, with inscription tablet
between with words "PER DOMINUM" beneath cornice breaking forward
over small consoles, probably moved from above early C17 inner door
which has similar style hood, ovolo moulded and stopped jambs, and
original studded plank door with large strap hinges. South and
west fronts both in Tudor Gothic style with mostly 2-light stone
mullions and transoms. South front has replaced plain gable to far
right, small central coped gable with kneelers and central stack
over single-storey embattled porch with roll-moulded 4-centred
archway and hoodmould. West front had 5 gables reduced to 4 in
1860s with large nearly central gable remodelled from 2 over main
bedroom and drawing room with slightly projecting 3-light bay with
embattled blocking course, and large projecting gable to right with
2-storey triangular bay. North side mostly still with C18 sashes
and with small bell turret with bell dated 1739.
Interior retains features from all periods including moulded beams
of C16, very large chamfered kitchen fireplace arch probably of
early C17 (date 1618 inscribed but could be earlier). Library in
south west corner panelled in 1740s with original fireplace and
contains bookcase probably made in early C19 within room, stair on
east side also probably of 1740 or possibly earlier with twisted
balusters, ramped handrail and moulded dado, and lit by very ornate
tripartite moulded skylight probably of 1860s. Panelled room of C18
in north east range. South and west ranges contain large remodelled
Victorian rooms with elaborate plaster cornices still unspoiled by
layers of paint, that in the drawing room to west being especially
fine. This room has original William Morris wallpaper of 1884, white
marble fireplace with complete inlay of Minton tiles probably of late
1860s, many original fittings such as curtain rails, mirrors, shelves
and fire screens probably contemporary and possibly designed for the
room. Stairwell also has original C19 wallpaper and elaborate plas-
ter cornices. The house is a very interesting example of the develop-
ment of a small country house. It is set near the junction of the
Stroudwater and Gloucester and Sharpness Canals with the River Frome
in its grounds, the first 3 miles of which were made navigable by
Richard Owen Cambridge in 1740s.
(V.C.H., Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, Buildings of
England: Gloucestershire - The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).


Listing NGR: SO7597409050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.