This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2638 / 51°15'49"N
Longitude: -0.7556 / 0°45'20"W
OS Eastings: 486920
OS Northings: 152361
OS Grid: SU869523
Mapcode National: GBR D9L.MST
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.VHDJ
Entry Name: Foxs Gymnasium
Listing Date: 20 August 1979
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137883
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mark's
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE
(South East side)
Gymnasium. 1894, for Colonel Fox of the Army Gymnastic Staff; extended mid C20. Brick with slate roof. Rectangular plan with front office and N side changing rooms. EXTERIOR: single-storey; 5-bay gable and 19-bay sides. Gables have stepped corbelled brackets, and round-arched openings. Ends articulated by buttresses between sunken bays, the entrance gable has a porch with matching gable with round-arched entrance to recessed door, round-arched windows rising with the eaves, and a central oculus, the rear gable has 4 round-arched windows and a left-hand round-arched door. N side has end and central projecting gabled porches with clasping buttresses and eaves corbels, as the ends: the central porch has a round-arched doorway with splayed sides and double doors and small flanking lights beneath an oculus, end gables with 3 ground-floor and a first-floor Venetian window, and parapeted linking ranges with 6 round-arched windows; metal-framed windows. Opposite side articulated by deep buttresses, with small round-arched lights, with a central gabled porch. Front gable and rear end of N side have mid C20 single-storey extensions. Roof has large ridge lantern. INTERIOR: has front offices and side changing rooms, balcony to entrance end on cast-iron columns, and wide, light wrought-iron trusses with paired struts and curved bottom tie. HISTORY: built for the Army Gymnastic Staff, founded in 1860, as part of the rebuilding of the first temporary camps. The first of 3 similar gyms at Aldershot including the Maida Gym (qv), the second generation of army gyms, built to develop gymnastics to improve the condition of the soldiers. (Oldfield E A L: Army Gymnastic Staff- 1952-: 5; Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SU8596151712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings