This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8915 / 54°53'29"N
Longitude: -1.9309 / 1°55'51"W
OS Eastings: 404530
OS Northings: 555198
OS Grid: NZ045551
Mapcode National: GBR GCYW.RB
Mapcode Global: WHB2V.99SY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240628
Location: Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, DH8
Civil Parish: Shotley Low Quarter
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shotley St John
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL
NZ 05 NW NZ 046552
10/257 Church of St.
Parish Church, now redundant. Rebuilt 1769 (date on crossing arch)
on medieval hilltop site; restored and altered 1892 (dated slab on
east wall). Coursed rubble with cut quoins and dressings; slate roof.
Equal-armed cruciform plan with gabled entrance porch on south transept
gable. C19 studded double doors in pointed arch; single round- arched
lights in gable above porch roof and in side walls of nave and both
transepts; north transept has projecting end stack and studded door in
chamfered surround on right[ Nave west end has pointed window under
plain arched bellcote with pedimented top. Chancel has paired lancets
in side walls and C19 east windows in C13 style: 2 lights below a
quatrefoil. Dated slab with cross, flanked by heads of early medieval
slabs with expanded-arm crosses, below. All gables coped with swept
kneelers and various finials. Several C18 headstones affixed to exterior
walls, including one west of porch to William Dixon of Shotley field, 1767;
pedimented top, scrolly surround, foliage decoration.
Interior: chamfered segmental diagonal arches over crossing, dated at
intersection. C19 moulded credence table and piscina corbelled out
from chancel window sills. Mural tablets on east side of south transept
(Rev. Thomas Simpson, 1754 with Latin inscription in scrolly frame) and
at west end (Christopher Hunter, 1757,'a learned and judicious Antiquary
and Physician'). Fittings late C19, including panelled vestry screen
across north transept; small chamfered C18 vestry fireplace. Stone
benches in porch.
Listing NGR: NZ0453055198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings