History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

36 and 38, Carlton Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3093 / 53°18'33"N

Longitude: -1.1215 / 1°7'17"W

OS Eastings: 458634

OS Northings: 379511

OS Grid: SK586795

Mapcode National: GBR NZM5.0F

Mapcode Global: WHDF7.R25V

Entry Name: 36 and 38, Carlton Road

Listing Date: 1 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241247

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Town: Bassetlaw

Electoral Ward/Division: Worksop North West

Built-Up Area: Worksop

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop St John

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 57 NE WORKSOP CARLTON ROAD
(East side)

3/40 Nos.36 and 38


II

Council offices. c.1900. Edwardian Baroque style. Ashlar and
brick, with Westmorland slate roof. Ashlar dressings, moulded
first floor band, dentillated eaves, moulded balustrade and
parapet. 2 coped gables, single panelled gable stack. Double
range, L-plan, 2 storeys plus attics, 4 unequal bays. Balanced
facade has central round headed carriage entry with pair of
ornate wrought iron gates and pair of flanking engaged Doric
columns with Ionic capitals; projecting keystone forming bracket
to oriel window above. Flanked by single 2 storey bow fronted
bay windows, each with mullioned and transomed leaded windows.
Beyond, to left, half glazed door with moulded architrave,
overlight, frieze and segmental pediment; beyond to right,
panelled flanking pilaster. Above central oriel bow window with
cross-transomed leaded light, set in recessed panel with banded
flanking pilasters and dentillated head. Flanked by single 3
light mullioned and transomed leaded lights, and beyond, to left,
transomed leaded casement with dentillated segmental pediment;
beyond, to right, ashlar impost with brick corbel and above,
small lunette. Above again, central bay has frieze inscribed
'Council Offices' and above, single stage tower with canted
corners and flanking Doric colonettes, with 3 oval leaded lights
flanked by swags. Above, entablaturewith deep dentillated
cornice, and above again, ribbed copper square dome withturned
finial. On each side, behind balustrade, a single flat roofed 3
light dormer. Right gable wall has full height, 12 light
mullioned and transomed window.


Listing NGR: SK5863479511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.