This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3653 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: -2.8536 / 2°51'13"W
OS Eastings: 340666
OS Northings: 163257
OS Grid: ST406632
Mapcode National: GBR JC.TBWN
Mapcode Global: VH7CF.HY78
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33318
Location: Puxton, North Somerset, BS24
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Puxton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
PUXTON C.P. PUXTON LANE
ST 46 SW
5/2 Parish Church of St Saviour
Parish Church: largely C15 and C16. Rubble, mainly rendered, slate roofs.
West tower, 3 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, north porch dated 1557. Tower leans
considerably to west; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses and quatrefoil pierced
parapet; heavily moulded west door under panelled 2-light perpendicular window;
similar windows to all sides of second stage have louvres; plain polygonal stair
turret at south east corner does not rise above parapet. Nave has irregular C14
and C15 windows, pointed south doorway and buttresses with weathered offsets and
simple gabled north porch with ball finial. Chancel, not rendered, has C16
2- and 3-light square head windows; east window is 3-light perpendicular; at
north is a small C19 former organ chamber. Interior is plastered; roof has C17
close spaced trusses with ceiling at tie beam level, except in pulpit bay which
retains sawn-off ends of moulded beams of rood loft. Moulded chancel arch and
base of C16 stone screen. Laudian, probably Jacobean, alter rails. Reading
desk and panelled octagonal pulpit flanking chancel arch; wrought iron hourglass
stand by pulpit. Early/mid C16 heavy oak pews in most of nave, rear of pew by
entrance has cresting and finials; 5 C18 box pews. Norman tub font, scraped,
C17 strapwork cover. West window on north side has shutter rebates and bolt
socket. Commandment tables now at west end. C17 door with bar at south.
Royal arms, 1751 over south door.
Listing NGR: ST4066763257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings