This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7728 / 51°46'21"N
Longitude: -2.2166 / 2°12'59"W
OS Eastings: 385152
OS Northings: 208255
OS Grid: SO851082
Mapcode National: GBR 1M5.Y42
Mapcode Global: VH94R.JPJV
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132741
Location: Pitchcombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Pitchcombe
Built-Up Area: Pitchcombe
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Pitchcombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8408-8508 PITCHCOMBE A4173
9/182 Church of St John
Parish church. 1819 by William Franklin; chancel and porch added
1870 by Medland and Son. Ashlar limestone; stone slate roof.
Nave with west tower, south porch and chancel. Two large 3-light
pointed windows to north and south nave walls each with reticulated
tracery. Two shallow buttresses to each side, lining through with
tower, formerly had moulded finial tops - now removed. Tower
projects slightly from west end, tall 2-light west window being set
over pointed arched west doorway with brattished top.
Perpendicular style 2-light west nave window to each side of tower.
Pilaster angle tower buttresses and tall belfry openings result in
rather attenuated effect. Hollow moulded cornice below
crenellated top, stumpy corners formerly with openwork pinnacles -
also removed. Parapet gabled south porch; pointed archway and
similar doorway within. Large east window with geometrical
Interior: broad nave with trussed roof. Baptistery and sacristy
set in west part of nave, either side of tower, each with high
pointed archway. Wide moulded chancel arch. Some good
monuments, mostly early C19. Stained glass to east window; north
west window has glass by Butler and Bayne, 1898. A rather plain
gaunt church in a prominent position overlooking the Painswick
valley. Replaced a medieval church with saddleback tower.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8515208255
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings