History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stagshaw House with Attached Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandhoe, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9958 / 54°59'44"N

Longitude: -2.0252 / 2°1'30"W

OS Eastings: 398485

OS Northings: 566799

OS Grid: NY984667

Mapcode National: GBR GB9N.BY

Mapcode Global: WHB26.VPSJ

Entry Name: Stagshaw House with Attached Gateway

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156599

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240083

Location: Sandhoe, Northumberland, NE45

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Sandhoe

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: St John Lee

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Corbridge

Listing Text

SANDHOE STAGSHAW
NY 96 NE
5/324 Stagshaw House,
15.4.69 with attached
gateway

GV II

House, mid-C19 extended and altered 1920 by Hicks and Charlewood. Tooled-and-
margined ashlar with raised quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof. South front
in 3 parts: right section, the original house, 3 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth,
modillion eaves cornice. 3 steps up to central glazed. door with patterned
overlight, flanked by narrow sashes, all under cornice. 12-pane sash above,
in architrave with cornice on brackets. Flanking 2-storey canted bays with
renewed small-paned sashes under moulded cornices. On 2nd floor 5 plate-glass
sashes with patterned lintels. Hipped roof with 2 tall stepped ridge stacks,
with panelled shafts and broad swept cornices. Attached gateway to right has
panelled piers and capitals with pomegranate finials, holding decorative
wrought-iron gate. Right return shows projecting Tuscan porch with panelled
double doors under radial fanlight and balustraded parapet. 2 storey domestic
wing to rear.

On left a 3-storey recessed linking bay with 1st floor band, triple ground
floor sash of 1920, 1st floor 12-pane sash under pedimented cornice and 2nd
floor 12-pane sash. Large 1920 extension to left: 2 storeys, 3+3 bays. Right
part set back behind Tuscan tetrastyle portico with balustrade above; left part
has central bow with balustraded parapet. Hipped roof; banded-and-corniced
ridge stack.

Formerly known as Stagshaw Close House, first recorded in the early C18.


Listing NGR: NY9848566799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.