This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2642 / 52°15'50"N
Longitude: -2.4094 / 2°24'33"W
OS Eastings: 372158
OS Northings: 262966
OS Grid: SO721629
Mapcode National: GBR BZ.ZHL3
Mapcode Global: VH92B.6C44
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 29 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152391
Location: Shelsley Walsh, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Shelsley Walsh
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Shelsleys
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 76 SW SHELSLEY WALSH CP SHELSLEY WALSH
5/175 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C12, altered C13 and restored 1859 by G Truefitt; repaired
1980. Tufa blocks, some coursed and some coursed and squared, freestone
dressings; plain tiled roof and timber bell turret. Consists of nave and
chancel only, with C19 additions of bell turret and south porch. C12 nave
of 3 bays with 2 tall round-headed windows and one thin lancet window
(restored) to the north side and a paired and single lancet (restored) on
the south side with a small round-headed window high up in the centre;
2-light plate tracery, C19 west window. Square timber bell turret (1859)
with pyramidal roof and 3 cusped louvred windows to each side. C19 north
porch of ashlar with a steep gabled roof; cusped timber outer archway.
C12 north door with single order of columns with scalloped capitals, plain
tympanum and deep zig-zag enrichment to the arch. Chancel is mostly C13
with north wall rebuilt in C16; single paired lancet window on north side,
paired and single lancet on south side and 3-light stepped lancet east window,
all mid-C19 but with some original stonework to the inner parts.: Interior
Fine tie and collar-beam roof of 6 main trusses and intermediate tie-beam
rafter trusses with ashlar posts, the 3 easternmost trusses have raking and
straight struts which have foiled and serrated inner braces forming
geometrical patterns, thought to be late C14 - early C15 but possibly later
and restored. The chancel is ceiled with boards which are painted blue and
enriched with gold stars. Moulded roof beam with double row of vine leaf
ornament; C20 cross. Excellent late C15 rood screen with linen fold lower
panels open and traceried upper panels and upper rails enriched with vine
leaf and cresting; at the south east the screen continues, simplified in
detail, to enclose a former chapel. Tall, cylindrical C12 font with moulded
base. Trefoil headed piscina, the cill of which is undercut with dogtooth.
Chancel floor has C15 tiles in various floral and geometric designs. Painted
wooden chest tomb to Frances Walsh, died 1596; arcaded side panels with
heraldic painting, Mannerist pilasters and moulded top with painted inscription.
Marble baroque style monument to Elizabeth Plampin, died 1732, gadrooned base
with winged cherubs, armorial bearings above. (BoE, 1968; VCH Vol 4, 1979).
Listing NGR: SO7214362941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings