This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0912 / 52°5'28"N
Longitude: -1.9488 / 1°56'55"W
OS Eastings: 403604
OS Northings: 243647
OS Grid: SP036436
Mapcode National: GBR 3LB.S4C
Mapcode Global: VHB0T.5PLS
Entry Name: Numbers 53 and 54 Incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate (Abbey Gate House)
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 147489
Location: Evesham, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11
Civil Parish: Evesham
Built-Up Area: Evesham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Evesham All Saints with St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Nos 53 and 54
of Abbey Gate
(Abbey Gate House)
SP 0343 NE 1/15 7.5.52.
1711. Fine L-shaped house which incorporates the remains of the early C14 Abbey
Gate, or Great Gate, built by Abbot Chyryton. House of stone and rubble; 2 storeys;
6 rush windows; 2 later C18 doorways with fanlights, 3/4 fluted Doric columns and
cornices; wood modillion eaves cornice; hipped tile roof. Good moulded lead rainwater
head on east side (of No 54), which is largely of medieval origin and has numerous
blocked openings including large semi-circular arches, that at rear of No 53 being
part of Abbey Gate and incorporating one original jamb. Interior: No 54 largely
altered, but No 53 has late C17 staircase and panelling. Bay on right-hand side
projecting towards Merstow Green has a modern upper storey built above the gateway
passage with an archway on north return side. To south of this bay, adjoining
the Abbey Stables (qv) is the remains of a vaulted passage of early C14.
Nos 53 and 54 incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate, Gate and railings of No 53,
Remains of Abbey Stables, the Almonry and The Stocks, together with No 1 and
No 3 and Remains of south wall of Abbey Precinct, Little Abbey Lane, form a group
with Church of All Saints, Church of St Lawrence, The Bell Tower, Abbot Reginald's
Wall and The Porter's Lodge, Remains of west wall of North Transept of Abbey,
Archway to south of the Remains of the west wall of the North Transept of Abbey,
Abbot Reginald's Gateway and The Old Vicarage, the Public Library, Nos 6 and 6A,
Nos 7 and 8 and Walker Hall, Market Place.
Listing NGR: SP0360343647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings