History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pines

A Grade II Listed Building in Southrop, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7308 / 51°43'50"N

Longitude: -1.7116 / 1°42'41"W

OS Eastings: 420017

OS Northings: 203600

OS Grid: SP200036

Mapcode National: GBR 4SF.D3L

Mapcode Global: VHC04.9R0K

Entry Name: The Pines

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127477

Location: Southrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Southrop

Built-Up Area: Southrop

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Southrop St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Eastleach

Listing Text

SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE
SP 1903-2003
14/229 The Pines
23.1.52
GV II
Detached house. Early-mid C17; mid-late C18 alterations.
Random rubble limestone; ashlar and brick rebuilt chimneys; stone
and artificial stone slate roofs. Two-storey; 2 parallel ranges.
West front: 2-window fenestration, 2-light recessed chamfered
mullioned casements to ground floor, 12-pane sashes with keyed
beaded architraves above. North end: 2 gables, right with
chimney having moulded cap and skirt. Left gable projects forward
with lean-to addition to ground floor; pedimented doorway
immediately to right with moulded architraves, pulvinated frieze
and contemporary plank door. East side: 2-window fenestration as
to west except ground floor casements are 3-light with ovolo
moulded mullions. Interior not inspected. Formerly known as
Grey's Court, this was the Keble family house until mid C18. The
Pines is now all that remains of a much larger house. Dovecote
(q.v.) stands to north west, walled garden with archway (q.v.) to
south.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Southrop' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp. 129-136;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: SP2001703600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.