This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9609 / 51°57'39"N
Longitude: -2.3188 / 2°19'7"W
OS Eastings: 378193
OS Northings: 229202
OS Grid: SO781292
Mapcode National: GBR 0HL.2KP
Mapcode Global: VH93Q.RZJ5
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126019
Location: Staunton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Staunton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Staunton St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STAUNTON LEDBURY ROAD
SO 7829-7929 (south side)
13/200 Church of St. James
Parish church, C12, C14, C15, restored, chancel, vestry and porch
built 1860 by G.R.Clarke. Coursed, squared stone to tower, ashlar
spire. Porch and chancel coursed, squared stone with ashlar
dressings; nave random rubble, north aisle squared stone brought to
courses, both ashlar to windows. Tiled roof. Nave, north aisle,
west tower, south porch, chancel, vestry. South facade: tower,
plain plinth, diagonal corner buttress left, square-set right:
trefoil-headed lancet above level of nave eaves, moulded string
course above. Two-light reticulated tracery window; moulded
oversailing course with 2 plain lead gargoyles; battlemented
parapet. Truncated octagonal spire, lancet vent in cardinal
faces. Nave: early C18 wall monument on left, drapery, momenti
mori. To right 2-light plate tracery window, trefoil heads,
quatrefoil above, no hoodmould (probably 1860). Porch on right,
plinth, moulded archway, hoodmould, foliage stops, trefoil over in
gable. Serrated parapet gable, apex block with iron finial. Two
trefoil windows each return: rows of fishscale tiles to roof. To
right, 2 windows as on left: some herringbone masonry at ground
level. Large, square set buttress right end, probably 1860;
parapet gable with cross-gablet apex and stone cross. Chancel,
plinth, 2 lancet windows, gable as nave. East end, 3-light
geometric tracery window hoodmould and foliage stops. West end:
plinth to tower, diagonal corner buttresses: 3-light window to
lowest stage, cinquefoil heads to lights, mouchettes over.
Moulded string: tower above as on south. North facet tower on
right, plinth, semi-octagonal stone turret on left, boarded door in
gabled porch at foot, 3-lobed head to opening. Three lancets to
light stairs: square headed window below moulded string course:
above as south side. On left, plain parapet gable to aisle, roof
continuation of nave slope. Three trefoil-headed lancets to aisle
(1860), evidence of blocked door in centre. To left transeptal
gable in same plane, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, stone
parapet with cross on apex. Vestry to left, twin lancets as
aisle; semi-octagonal east end, boarded doorway with arched head
on splay: hipped roof, chimney rising from rear on right end
vestry. Set back on left end of chancel; lancet window.
Interior: boarded door to nave: walls plastered, except in tower.
Four-bay arcade to aisle, lozenge pillars, simply-moulded capitals
and bases, 4-centre arches, main parts straight, plain chamfer.
Ogee-headed tomb recess south side, trefoil-headed piscina
adjoining and in north aisle. Wide, probably 1860, chancel arch.
Roof braced collar rafter to nave, at some period plastered.
Transverse boarded panelled roof to east end aisle. Two-bay
chancel, arch-braced collar truss off corbels. Door to roodscreen
above pulpit, wooden octagon on wine-glass stem (C19). C19
octagonal bowl to font, scalloped below, on stem with heads to
faces. 1612 Horton monument in north aisle, 8 kneeling figures
above large base, coat of arms in strapwork over. Two later C18
monuments in tower base: creed, decalogue and benefactions board:
1742 churchwarden's chest. Glass in side windows to chancel 1878
and 1899; 1860 by A.Gibbs of Bedford in west window (all dated).
Forms group with Court and farm buildings (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
V.C.H. Worcestershire, Vol.IV, 1924.)
Listing NGR: SO7819329202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings