This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1703 / 53°10'12"N
Longitude: -0.948 / 0°56'52"W
OS Eastings: 470417
OS Northings: 364198
OS Grid: SK704641
Mapcode National: GBR BHZ.74Q
Mapcode Global: WHFH1.DKSZ
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156936
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241885
Location: Kneesall, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Kneesall
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Kneesall
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
KNEESALL OLLERTON ROAD
SK 76 SW
8/35 Church of
Parish church. C14, C15, tower c.1425, restored 1846 and 1860
and 1893 by Hodgson Fowler. Coursed squared rubble, dressed
stone and rockfaced and plain ashlar. Concrete, asbestos cement
and slate roofs. Partial chamfered and moulded plinths,
chamfered and coved eaves, moulded coped parapets, moulded sill
bands, coped gables with kneelers. West tower, nave, chancel,
north and south aisles, boiler house, south porch. West tower,
c.1425, 3 stages, has 2 string courses and eaves band with bosses
and remains of 6 angels and beasts. 2 spouts to north and south.
Traceried panelled parapet with 4 restored panelled crocketed
pinnacles. Pair of C19 corner buttresses to west, 4 setoffs.
Pair of plain buttresses to east, engaged with aisles, 2 setoffs.
First stage has, to west, C15 chamfered doorway with hood mould,
mask stops and peak, C19 door. Above, early C15 double lancet,
restored, with cusped ogee heads, cusped quatrefoil and mask
stops. Restored. Above again, clock. Third stage has 4 C15
double lancets with cusped ogee heads, cusped quatrefoils, hood
moulds and mask stops. Boiler house, C19, has keeled eaves band,
moulded parapet, blocked opening to west and to north, blocked
window with segmental head. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays, C15, has
on each side 3 gargoyles and 3 double lancets with cusped ogee
heads and chamfered Tudor arched reveals. North aisle, C14, has
restored C15 windows and rainwater head, 1873. 3 buttresses, 2
and 3 setoffs. North side has to west, C14 chamfered doorway
with hood mould and plank door. To east, 2 triple lancets with
cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, hood moulds and mask stops.
East and west ends have each a similar smaller triple lancet,
restored, that to east with hood mould and mask stops. South
aisle, 3 bays, rebuilt C19, has sill band and corner buttress
each end, that to west C19, single setoffs. Rainwater head dated
1880. East end has a C14 double lancet with Y tracery and hood
mould. South side has to east, C13 double lancet, restored, with
trefoil head and hood mould. To west, a C14 double lancet with Y
tracery and hood mould, restored and possibly re-sited. West end
has C19 double lancet with Y tracery, restored. Chancel, C15, 3
bays, has partial plinth and eaves bands, and sill band. North
side has 2 C19 buttresses, 3 setoffs and a double and single
gargoyle. To west, 2 C13 chamfered lancets, restored. East end
has a pair of C19 corner buttresses, 3 setoffs plus plinth, sill
band and crenellated coped gable with 2 crocketed pinnacles.
Single late C15 5 light lancet with cusped round heads, panel
tracery and hood mould with mask stops. South side has 2 C19
buttresses, 3 setoffs, rainwater head dated 1846, coved eaves
with remains of 2 gargoyles and central crocketed pinnacle.
Central C14 priest's door, double chamfered and rebated, with
ogee hood mould and mask finial. Above and to its left, restored
C13 lancet, and on each side a C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee
heads, panel tracery and square headed reveals with hood moulds
and mask stops. Lancet to left is taller. Both heavily restored
C20. South porch, C19, has 2 flanking buttresses to south, and
C13 style doorway with hood mould and stops. East side has a
single squat C13 lancet. Interior has a re-sited church bench
and a scissor braced common rafter roof. Inner south doorway,
C13, restored, has cove moulded reveal and hood mould. C19
doors. Nave arcades have each 3 octagonal piers, C14, with water
holding bases and a variety of moulded octagonal capitals.
Double chamfered and moulded arches with linked hood moulds and
mask stops, restored. C15 roof with chamfered tie beams and
double purlins. Matchboarded C19. Tower arch, C14, double
chamfered and rebated with octagonal responds and imposts. Pair
of additional brackets above imposts, with mask and Arms. Tower
chamber has 2 moulded four centred arched doorways. North aisle
has C19 lean-to roof. South aisle has partial sill band to east,
and restored C15 lean-to roof. Chancel arch, early C15, coved
and chamfered, with hood mould and angel corbels. Chancel north
side has west window with stained glass, 1911. To east, blocked
chamfered square aumbry. East end has sill band and to south a
moulded bracket. South side has to east a C14 piscina with
cusped trefoil head. Roof C15 style with moulded timbers and
ogee corbels. Fittings include square C19 font on round stem
with flanking shafts,and wooden cover withcross, 1926. Disused
shallow eggcup font with round stem and chamfered square base.
Fragment of C11 cross base with interlaced decoration. C19
tripod iron lectern with scrollwork and altar rail with similar
supports. 11 C15 benches with shaped ends with traceried panels
and lozenge finials, one with mask finial. Partly restored C19
moulded oak benches, some with traceried panels. 4 C19 pierced
panelled stalls. C19 octagonal ashlar pulpit with pierced
traceried panels and octagonal stem. Communion table, early C17,
with bulbous turned legs and moulded chip carved top rail.
Monuments include brass, 1893, referring to restoration, large
glazed tile war memorial tablet, 1918. Brasses 1902, c.1974.
Listing NGR: SK7041564199
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings