History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbey, Reading

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4549 / 51°27'17"N

Longitude: -0.9733 / 0°58'23"W

OS Eastings: 471434

OS Northings: 173381

OS Grid: SU714733

Mapcode National: GBR QLF.GW

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.2PTJ

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 22 March 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39161

Location: Reading, RG1

County: Reading

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Caversham

Listing Text

ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD
1.
5128
Church House
SU 7173 SW 2/237 22.3.57.
II GV
2.
Early-mid C18. 2 storeys and attic. Altered. South front red brick, moulded
painted string over 1st floor windows. plain parapet with stone coping. Old
tile hipped roof, chimneys stunted. 3 dormers with moulded cornices, casements.
5 windows on 1st floor, 3 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes. Modern double
(4 panel) door with rectangular fanlight of radiating and curved glazing pattern.
Wooden doorcase, panelled reveals, panelled pilasters and elaborately carved
scroll brackets with supports of cupids and inverted accanthus, crowned by
modern segmental open pedimented hood with panelled soffit. Narrow window
each side of doorcase. A good modern adaptation. The entrance originally
was from the west (altered 1931). Original glazing bars and internal cornice
retained in 1st floor north-west room to back. Original modillion cornice
survives on pebbledash west front. Interior: staircase with wide oak moulded
rail, circa 1740s with ramps and dado and wide turned balusters; continued
to basement; 2 pedimented doors to stairs, one segmental, the other triangular.
Ground floor front room has fine eared chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze.
The room above has marble fireplace with Adam-style surround with swagged frieze
having cupids and a lion. In the attic, partition wall retains part of a re-used
moulded jetty.


Listing NGR: SU7143473381

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.