History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canon Frome Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Canon Frome, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0888 / 52°5'19"N

Longitude: -2.5194 / 2°31'9"W

OS Eastings: 364507

OS Northings: 243512

OS Grid: SO645435

Mapcode National: GBR FV.BFPS

Mapcode Global: VH85L.8RYL

Entry Name: Canon Frome Court

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153079

Location: Canon Frome, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Canon Frome

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Canon Frome

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Canon Frome

Listing Text

CANON FROME CP CANON FROME
SO 64 SW

5/114 Canon Frome Court

18.11.52

GV II


Country house, now divided into apartments. Dated 1786 and attributed to
Anthony Keck for Richard Cope Hopton, replacing an earlier house, further
additions, porch dated 1814 and music room 1914, and further alterations
during 1950's when house became a school. Red brick, ashlar dressings,
hipped slate roof. Double-pile with central entrance and stairwell facing
north with former music room to west and further additions to former
service wing to east. Three storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; 2:3:2 bays,
glazing-bar sash windows, central three in pedimented slightly forward
break with central blank arch and segmental head to top floor window,
Venetian window to first floor, string course with Vitruvian scroll enrich-
ment above former portico with attached Tuscan columns and date R C H 1786,
now obscured by later porch dated 1814; south front is similar (without
added porch). Interior: entrance hall double screen of scagliola columns
with Corinthian capitals. Formerly contained fine C17 overmantels which
were largely removed and sold during 1950's, one is reputed to remain in
former Billiard room. These were removed and reset from the earlier house
on the site. Formerly the seat of the Hopton family it was acquired by
Hereford County Council in 1957 and became a school during 1954; it has
since become the property of a housing association. (Burke's and Saville's
Guide to Country Houses, 1980, p 13; RCHM Vol II, p 45, item 2; BoE, p 98).


Listing NGR: SO6450743512

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.