This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8157 / 51°48'56"N
Longitude: -1.7212 / 1°43'16"W
OS Eastings: 419315
OS Northings: 213040
OS Grid: SP193130
Mapcode National: GBR 4RF.3NF
Mapcode Global: VHBZR.3MXG
Entry Name: Five Monuments, Including Annathe Newman Monument, in the Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Circa 4.5 Metres North of the Tower
Listing Date: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130680
Location: Windrush, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18
Civil Parish: Windrush
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Windrush St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
WINDRUSH THE GREEN, Windrush Village
10/243 Five monuments, including Annathe
Newman monument, in the churchyard
of the Church of St. Peter,
c4.5m north of the tower
Annathe Newman bale tomb and pairs of headstones either side. C17-
mid C18. Limestone.
Chest tomb to Annathe Newman, wife of John Newman, daughter of
Hercule and Elizabeth Hitchman, died 1713. Moulded plinth. Raised
inscription plaque on north side, similar inscription plaque on
south. Narrow fielded panels at either end. Quarter balusters
with acanthus decoration at corners. Capping with moulded margin.
Balestone with ribbed decoration on bands and scalloped ends.
Carved face with large scrolls covering cheeks at west end. Flower
at centre of scallop at east end.
Double headstone to right. Segmental head to each half. Left side
initialled and dated 'K.F. 1694'. Right half initialled and dated
'R.F. 1704'. Both inscriptions in large raised letters.
Headstone to right with partially legible inscription with date
1606 on oval inscription plaque within foliate margin. Triangular
pediment flanked by scrolls. Marginal panels either side of
Headstone to left of bale tomb. C18. Segmental head. Partially
legible inscription to (?) Rowland and Mary Jackson within a finely
carved foliate border. Three, winged cherubs' heads at tops.
Small headstone to left of the latter. Traces of inscription
within flowing foliate border. Winged cherub's head at top. A
particularly fine group of varied monuments, flanking one of the
Listing NGR: SP1931513040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings