This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0564 / 55°3'23"N
Longitude: -2.2037 / 2°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 387087
OS Northings: 573564
OS Grid: NY870735
Mapcode National: GBR F91Z.Q7
Mapcode Global: WHB1Y.35XJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mungo
Listing Date: 27 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240822
Location: Simonburn, Northumberland, NE48
Civil Parish: Simonburn
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Simonburn
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
SIMONBURN THE GREEN
(West side, off)
19/138 Church of
15/4/69 St. Mungo
Parish church. C13; aisles rebuilt 1763 by Robert and William Newton; chancel
rebuilt 1863-4 by Anthony Salvin; nave and aisles restored and re-fenestrated
and porch added 1875-7 by R.J. Johnson. Squared and dressed sandstone;
graduated green slate roofs. Aisled nave with north porch; chancel. Early
English with C19 alterations in same style.
4-bay nave has 5-light plate-tracery west window flanked by C13 buttresses;
gabled west bellcote with twin openings; steep roof. Buttressed aisles with
fragments of C13 chamfered plinth have grouped lancets and low pent roofs.
Pointed 1877 north aisle doorway. 3-bay chancel: lower part of north wall and
western part of south wall are medieval; restored buttresses with chamfered
bases and gablets; 4 lancets, re-cut Priest's door and 2-light low-side window
with stepped sill strings and continuous hoodmould on south; 2 lancets on north;
angle-buttressed east end with 3 stepped lancets; steeply-pitched roof. Tall
gabled porch has elaborate pointed doorway of 3 orders with colonnettes; steep
Interior: 3 eastern bays of nave slope down to chancel. Nave arcade (possibly
reconstructed c.1877) has 4 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal
piers with moulded bases and hollow-chamfered capitals. Similar chancel arch
partly rebuilt in 1877. Aisle windows have splayed rear arches on colonnettes.
Restored trefoil-headed double piscina on south chancel wall.
Fittings, monuments and stained glass. Early C18 vase-shaped stone font and
late C19 octagonal stone font in nave. Fragments of monument to Rev. Cuthbert
Ridley died 1637 ( 3 kneeling figures and a recumbent child) at east end of
south aisle. 1854 Allgood monument with carved angel by M. Noble on north
aisle wall. Aedicular monument to Rev. Major Allgood died 1696 on north chancel
wall. Several worn late C17-early C18 floor monuments in chancel. Several
carved stone fragments including part of a Saxon cross shaft set on inner walls
of porch. 1877 east window and several aisle windows by C.E. Kempe.
(Rev. C.D. Ward Davis, The Great Parish of Simonburn, 1972)
Listing NGR: NY8708773564
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings