This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1681 / 52°10'5"N
Longitude: -3.0224 / 3°1'20"W
OS Eastings: 330173
OS Northings: 252695
OS Grid: SO301526
Mapcode National: GBR F5.5GYG
Mapcode Global: VH77G.KRKT
Entry Name: Chapel of St Silas
Listing Date: 16 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150592
Location: Eardisley, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Eardisley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2015
SO 35 SW
EARDISLEY CP, Bollingham,
Chapel of St Silas
(Formerly listed as Bollingham Chapel, A 4111 (west side))
Chapel. Probably C13, restored in 1867 and 1890. Sandstone rubble with
ashlar dressings and stone-tiled roof laid in diminishing courses. Three-
bay nave with west bellcote and south porch and two-bay chancel. Nave: 2-
light C19 west window with hoodmould and head stops. North elevation was
refaced in C19 and has a buttress with offsets to east of centre, a 2-light
window and two cusped lancets, all C19. South elevation has similar windows.
West bellcote is C19 and gabled with a gabled finial to the centre of the
ridge. There are two pointed arched openings with imposts and a bell in
the northern opening. South porch is C19 and gabled with a pointed timber
archway and scissor-truss roof. The south doorway has a chamfered timber
cambered head and chamfered ashlar jambs. Chancel has a C19 east window
of three lights with hoodmould and head stops. In the south elevation is a
C19 cusped lancet, to the west of which is a medieval carved corbel. Interior:
C19 pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on moulded corbels.
Nave has a C14 or C15 roof with arch-braced collar trusses and king-post trusses,
moulded wall-plates and a single tier of cusped wind-braces (partly renewed).
The chancel roof is also medieval in part and has a central C19 arch-braced
collar truss. Font is C19, stone with octagonal bowl on four columns with
ornate capitals. Font of similar date, three-sided with engaged columns.
There is a stoup east of the south doorway. Memorials: in the nave is a
ledger slab to Sarah Higgins, died 1711. (RCHM, III, p 52, item 2).
Listing NGR: SO3017352695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings