This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1347 / 51°8'4"N
Longitude: -0.8887 / 0°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 477854
OS Northings: 137853
OS Grid: SU778378
Mapcode National: GBR C9M.XTX
Mapcode Global: VHDYD.KR21
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 31 May 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157331
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142263
Location: Kingsley, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU35
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Kingsley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Kingsley with Oakhanger
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 73 NE KINGSLEY KINGSLEY
7/15 Church of St. Nicholas
Mortuary chapel. C14, mostly 1778. Brick, with some ironstone; and a tile roof.
Single-cill church, with medieval east wall and west end. Plain roof, of a
slightly steeper pitch to the western section, which has a boarded bell-turret
with a shingled spire. The main walling (of 1778) is of brickwork in Flemish bond,
brick dentil eaves, cambered openings, double-stepped plinth (with stone offsets);
the east wall is cemented and contains a Gothic window of 2 cusped lights below
a roundel, the west wall is of ironstone with a plain round-headed doorway, the
upper part being brickwork in Flemish bond with the headers. Side windows are
leaded lights in oak casements. Brick gabled porch. Stone plaque dated 1778.
The interior is plastered, with a flat ceiling having coved sides, and ribs
ending in rosettes. The east wall contains painted(early C19) Prescriptions in
4 panels: there is a Mortuary Crib (late C18) formed by a rectangular railed
enclosure (with 6 brass sconces, for candles, above the main posts), a panelled
C18 pulpit,plain stone tub font (C11) with a wrought-iron cover, gallery of 1800
with irregular panelled front, a chest of cl3OO and 4 mid C19 brass candle-
holders mounted on the plain bench pews.
Listing NGR: SU7925438276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings