History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Quebb Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Eardisley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1611 / 52°9'39"N

Longitude: -3.0215 / 3°1'17"W

OS Eastings: 330222

OS Northings: 251911

OS Grid: SO302519

Mapcode National: GBR F5.5WPX

Mapcode Global: VH77G.LY06

Entry Name: Little Quebb Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 August 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150596

Location: Eardisley, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Eardisley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Almeley

Listing Text

EARDISLEY CP off A 4111 (west side)
SO 35 SW
3/42 Little Quebb Farmhouse
19.8.53
GV II
Farmhouse. Circa 1400, extended circa 1600 and C17 with further mid-C19
and mid-C20 alterations. Timber-framed with painted brick and rendered
infill on rubble base, painted brick replacement walling and stone-tiled
roofs laid in diminishing courses. Cruck hall house of probably three bays
aligned north-east/south-west; through-passageway in central bay and large
external rubble chimney with rubble and brick stack on north-west side of
north-east bay. Cross-wing of two framed bays added at south-west end circa
1600 and a further parallel south-west cross-wing also of two framed bays
added later in the C17. There is a large chimney at the junction of the
earlier cross-wing and the original range. Part single storey and attic,
part two storeys. Framing: original range has three panels from sill to
wall-plate and a collar and tie-beam truss with struts and a V-strut above
the collar at the north-east end. Earlier cross-wing has two rows of panels
at first floor level, a jettied north-west gable on shaped brackets and a
north-west tie-beam truss with three struts. Later cross-wing has two rows
of panels at ground floor level, two rows of close-set studding at first
floor level and a north-west tie-beam truss with latticed struts. North-west
front elevation: original range has a 2-light ground floor casement and a C17
or earlier studded door with decorative strap hinges. The earlier gable end
has a 4-light ground floor casement with a plank weathering and a first floor
3-light leaded casement. The later cross-wing gable end has a 3-light casement
on both main floors, the ground floor one has a plank weathering. Attic light
at north-east end. Interior: three pairs of cruck trusses survive within the
original range. (RCHM, III, p 55, item 32; Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue,
1981).


Listing NGR: SO3022251911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.