History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Scorton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3969 / 54°23'48"N

Longitude: -1.6147 / 1°36'52"W

OS Eastings: 425115

OS Northings: 500225

OS Grid: NZ251002

Mapcode National: GBR KK5L.7L

Mapcode Global: WHC6G.5RC4

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322375

Location: Scorton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Scorton

Built-Up Area: Scorton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bolton upon Swale

Listing Text

SCORTON THE GREEN
NZ 20 SE
(north side)
7/62 School House
4.2.69

GV II

House, now school offices and boarding house. Early C18. Roughcast, stone
slate roof. 3 storeys, 5:2 bays. On ground floor in third bay, 4-panel
door in chamfered ashlar surround with open pediment resting on brackets.
Sash windows in ashlar surrounds, sixth and seventh bays on first floor
being taller, and blind window in fourth bay of second floor. Shaped
kneelers, ashlar copings. Corniced brick stacks at ends and between bays 2
and 3, 5 and 6. Rear elevation: staircase window. Left return: chamfered
quoined doorway, now window. Right return: large external stepped stack,
truncated. Interior: rear staircase has turned balusters with inverted
bell-shapes near base. Scorton Grammar School (qv) was founded in 1720 by
Leonard Robinson, who endowed it with his own house, this building. Bulmer,
History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 376.


Listing NGR: NZ2511500225

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.