This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1413 / 52°8'28"N
Longitude: -3.009 / 3°0'32"W
OS Eastings: 331045
OS Northings: 249707
OS Grid: SO310497
Mapcode National: GBR F6.767Y
Mapcode Global: VH77N.SFMS
Entry Name: Upper House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 August 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150631
Location: Eardisley, County of Herefordshire, HR3
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Eardisley
Built-Up Area: Eardisley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
KINGTON ROAD (east side)
SO 3049 - 3149
Upper House Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probable C15 origins, altered and extended circa 1600 with
further mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with rendered and painted brick
infill on rubble base, partly roughcast with stone-tiled roofs laid in
diminishing courses. Original central range of probably three framed bays
aligned north/south consisting of a hall with a screens passage at the south
end and a solar at the-north end. Circa 1600 chimney was added on the
west side with two diagonal brick shafts and an upper floor was inserted.
Also added was a three-bay parallel west range (which has a later external
rubble chimney with a brick stack at its north end), a three-bay south cross-
wing with an external rubble chimney on its south side (this wing may replace
an earlier service wing) and also a north-east wing of two and a half bays, the
eastern half-bay being a chimney bay, and which has a lean-to' outshut with
a catslide roof on its north side. Mainly two storeys and cellar. Framing:
original part has close-set studding, three rows from sill to wall-plate and
a collar and tie-beam truss at the north end with close-set struts beneath the
collar and a V-strut above. Elsewhere four or five rows of square and/or
rectangular panels from sill to wall-plate and some solid upper corner braces.
Mainly collar and tie-beam trusses with struts. South wing has tie-beam truss
with raking struts at rear. West range has a jettied first floor on the west
side and at the north end with pendant ball finials beneath the end and two
intermediate posts. The first floor of the south wing is also jettied on
shaped brackets at the west end. West front elevation: west range to left
has a pair of ground floor windows and two first floor windows; all are of
three lights and have moulded architraves. There is also a cellar window
with a cambered brick head in the rubble base. At the southern end is a
segmental timber archway leading to the main entrance which has half-glazed
double doors and is approached by a flight of brick steps with an iron hand-
rail. In the angle with the south wing is a 2-light ground floor casement.
The west gable end of the south cross-wing to the right has a 3-light first
floor casement with a plank weathering. The north gable end of the original
range has a ground floor cavetto-mullioned window of five lights with a
moulded head and sill; there is a similar window of four lights in the angle
with the north-east wing. Also the north side of the north-east wing has a
large timber-framed gabled dormer which is jettied on shaped brackets with
pendant finials beneath the end posts. It has scalloped bargeboards and
above the roof truss collar is a small coffin-shaped window. Interior: original
hall recorded to have a central roof truss with arch-braced collar and a door-
way at the west end of the screens passage with original moulded jambs (head
has been removed). The passage has an open-timbered ceiling supporting a
gallery, now incorporated with the inserted first floor. The north wall of
the hall has an original doorway with a four-centred head and sunk spandrels.
In the C17 chimney is set a C14 stone with a cusped traceried head. Main
ceiling beams are exposed and chamfered. A first floor room has some C17
panelling. At the head of the staircase an octagonal newel post with a
finial survives. (RCHM, III, p 53, item 5; BoE, p 120).
Listing NGR: SO3104549707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings