History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4704 / 54°28'13"N

Longitude: -1.827 / 1°49'37"W

OS Eastings: 411311

OS Northings: 508355

OS Grid: NZ113083

Mapcode National: GBR HJPR.87

Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.XW5R

Entry Name: Dalton House

Listing Date: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157519

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322727

Location: Dalton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Dalton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Newsham

Listing Text

NZ 10 NW DALTON MOOR LANE
(north side)

5/26 Dalton House

- II

House. Late C18 - early C19 with late C19 alterations and addition.
Rubble, mainly coursed; stone slate and artificial stone slate roofs.
2 storeys, with part cellar, 1:3 bays. Main house to right: coursed rubble,
stone slate roof; rear outshut. Offset plinth; quoins. Central leaved
glazed doors below 4-pane overlight in ashlar surround with triangular slab
hood. Above the door, in blocked window, a pseudo-armorial carving of a
phoenix in flames, the ligatured initials "RCF" and the date "1892". Sash
windows with glazing bars with projecting sills and deep lintels. Ashlar
coping. Ashlar end stacks. At the left side, 2 small cellar windows in the
plinth. To left, kitchen extension of 2 lower storeys, with quoins to left,
board door in ashlar surround to right, and one bay of 16-pane sash windows;
ashlar coping and stack to left end. Left return: blocked doorway and 3
semicircular wrought-iron hoops set into the wall. Interior: within kitchen
extension, stone steps, formerly external, leading up to outshut of main
house. Used as a "London school" in the C19. The home of William Lister
who built Dunsa Manor (qv) in 1842.


Listing NGR: NZ1131108355

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.