History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding About 20 Yards North-East of Great Penllan Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Huntington, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1618 / 52°9'42"N

Longitude: -3.0633 / 3°3'47"W

OS Eastings: 327363

OS Northings: 252034

OS Grid: SO273520

Mapcode National: GBR F3.5YM2

Mapcode Global: VH77F.VXFN

Entry Name: Outbuilding About 20 Yards North-East of Great Penllan Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 August 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150659

Location: Huntington, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Huntington

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Huntington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Huntington

Listing Text

HUNTINGTON CP -
SO 25 SE
2/104 Outbuilding about 20 yards
north-east of Great
19.8.53 Penllan Farmhouse
- II
House, now outbuilding. C15 or earlier, extended in C17, with further late
C19, mid- and late C20 alterations. Partly timber-framed, refaced and
extended in rubble, some corrugated metal cladding.and corrugated asbestos
roofs. Former cruck hall house of two bays aligned north-east/south-west;
large chimney inserted at north-east end, probably when building was divided
into two storeys and additional bay built at south-east end during C17. In
C19 it was refaced and extended to north-east by probably five bays to form
a large outbuilding. Two levels. Main north-west elevation: there are two
ground floor windows (one with a cambered brick head), four roof lights and
six doors (one is a stable door, two have cambered brick heads). A single-
bay, two-level wing projects from the second bay from the south-west end
which has a loft door in its gable end. Also a lean-to outshut adjoins the
south-west bay. Interior: the three pairs of full cruck trusses are largely
intact and there is also a re-used moulded and embattled C15 beam. C17 wall-
framing is visible at south-west end. Part of the inserted rubble chimney
survives. The building has been recently re-roofed, (July 1986). (RCHM,
III, p 76,' item 10; BoE, p 190, Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).


Listing NGR: SO2736352034

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.