History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Huntington Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Huntington, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1774 / 52°10'38"N

Longitude: -3.1006 / 3°6'2"W

OS Eastings: 324839

OS Northings: 253804

OS Grid: SO248538

Mapcode National: GBR F2.4TTM

Mapcode Global: VH77F.6JQP

Entry Name: Remains of Huntington Castle

Listing Date: 16 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150665

Location: Huntington, County of Herefordshire, HR5

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Huntington

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Huntington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Huntington

Listing Text

HUNTINGTON CP HUNTINGTON
SO 25 SW
1/110 Remains of Huntington
Castle
16.10.67
- II

Castle remains. C13, or earlier origins, repaired in 1403, abandoned
in 1460 (although one tower still in use as prison in 1521). Sandstone
rubble. Earthworks consist of a motte 40 yards in diameter and three feet
high with an oval inner bailey to the north-east and a crescent-shaped
outer bailey also to the north-east. The inner bailey is approached by a
causeway on the east side which probably marks the site of a former gate-
house. The bailey was enclosed by a curtain wall; one fragment of this
wall survives to the west about 20 feet high. Also part of a C13 tower
remains to the north with a small chamber in the adjoining section of
curtain wall. This chamber has traces of a window and two small recesses
in the west wall. In the south part of the tower are the remains of a stair-
case or corridor. The castle was in the possession of the Braose, Bohun and
Stafford families during the Middle Ages. Ancient Monument County no 98.
(RCHM, III, p 75-6, item 2; BoE, p 198).


Listing NGR: SO2483953804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.