History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walhampton House walhampton School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Boldre, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7687 / 50°46'7"N

Longitude: -1.5311 / 1°31'51"W

OS Eastings: 433163

OS Northings: 96674

OS Grid: SZ331966

Mapcode National: GBR 77X.PQQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 77P1.TK6

Entry Name: Walhampton House walhampton School

Listing Date: 13 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157615

English Heritage Legacy ID: 144251

Location: Boldre, New Forest, Hampshire, SO41

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

Civil Parish: Boldre

Built-Up Area: Walhampton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Boldre St John

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Boldre

Listing Text

SZ 39 NW BOLDRE B3054
Walhampton
14/29
Walhampton House
Walhampton School
GV II*

Medium-sized country house, now school. Early C18, much enlarged 1884 by N Shaw
who added Queen-Anne style block, original part remodelled 1911 by T Mawson.
Orange/red brick older part, plum brick C19 range, some stone dressings, old plain
tile roofs. Plan of 2½ storey (attic behind parapet), 5 bay projecting wings at
each end one side, full-height canted bays on other, at one end against wing but set
back narrow bay linking to Shaw block of 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays, set forward
2 bays from link, but in line with facade on other side, at other end C20 additions
in C18 style. Entrance front has plinth with moulded brick offset. In centre 3
bay wide stone platform above 3 steps with bowed front. Large stone Corinthian
doorcase with segmental pediment cutting 1st floor string. In each bay, including
narrow bay, thin 18-pane flush-frame sashes, on moulded stone sills, under rubbed
arches with raised keys running up to heavy moulded 1st floor string, which cuts
quoins but comes round lead downpipes. On 1st floor sashes,similar sashes with
tops of raised keys, in stone, joining 2nd floor stone cornice. Panelled parapet
with narrow panels under rubbed arches and stone coping. Raised brick quoins and
lead downpipes either side of centre 3 bays and on sides of wings. Roof hipped
with short hipped roofs for wings. Above each of centre bays and on hips of wings
2-light flat roofed dormers. Stacks on front of ridge in line with inner face
of wings. Shaw's range stiff and rather dull Queen Anne style. Inside older part
whole of front pile remodelled in 1911 into hung oak and plaster hall in C18
style. Behind in centre bays long saloon with marble fireplace with Corinthian
columns, and ceiling might be C18. In RH (from front) end wing to front room with
Oriental style ceiling and red C19 porphyry fireplace, behind music room with Italian
stuccoist's ceiling, niches off it lead to C2O ballroom, now chapel.


Listing NGR: SZ3316596676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.