This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0815 / 52°4'53"N
Longitude: -2.8822 / 2°52'56"W
OS Eastings: 339638
OS Northings: 242939
OS Grid: SO396429
Mapcode National: GBR FC.C1NY
Mapcode Global: VH77Y.0Y36
Entry Name: Byford Court
Listing Date: 20 February 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149982
Location: Byford, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Byford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Byford and Mansel Gamage
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BYFORD CP BYFORD
SO 34 SE
4/24 Byford Court
House. C16, extended and partly refronted in early C17, and in 1761.
Timber-frame with rendered infill on a coursed rubble plinth, mostly
cased in coursed rubble, with a tiled roof. H-plan with main range
aligned east/west. Main stack at east end of main range with diamond
plan shafts. South front has the gabled cross-wings faced in stone in
C18, whilst central area infilled in C17. Two storeys with gable-lit
attics to the cross-wings and a 2-light stone mullioned window with square
label to the centre. One plus three plus one windows, the outer windows
are casements, 2-light to the left, 3-light to right. Centre has two 3-
light stone mullioned windows with square labels flanking a 6-light stone
mullion and transomed window. Ground floor has one plus two plus one
windows, 4-light casement to cross-wings, the central window a 6-light
window similar to that above with a 2-light stone mullioned window to
right. Entrance to left of central window has moulded imposts and a semi-
elliptical head, above which are three shields enclosed by a moulded label.
Above the label is a blank shield flanked by fleurs-de-lis and surmounted
by a bird. Framing visible in east wall is close-studded with five braces.
Interior: the hall is lined with C17 panelling (brougt from Marsh Court,
Bridge Sollers, c1910) and has a moulded four-centred head to the ingle-
nook fireplace. The recessed main entrance door has moulded posts, and is
square-headed with a shaped sub-head carved with human heads sprouting
foliage, the boarded door has moulded planted-on ribs and strap hinges.
(RCHM, Vol 3, pp 31-32, no 2).
Listing NGR: SO3963842939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings