This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.403 / 54°24'10"N
Longitude: -1.7296 / 1°43'46"W
OS Eastings: 417652
OS Northings: 500870
OS Grid: NZ176008
Mapcode National: GBR JKCJ.BF
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.DLMG
Entry Name: Richmond Garden and Farm Supply Centre
Listing Date: 4 March 1969
Last Amended: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322182
Location: St. Martin's, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: St. Martin's
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ST MARTINS RICHMONDSHIRE RECREATION
NZ 10 SE CENTRE
4/116 Richmond Garden and Farm
4.3.69 (formerly listed as
Richmond Railway Station)
Railway passenger station, now garden centre. c1846. By G T Andrews for
George Hudson's Great North of England Railway. Sandstone rubble with
ashlar dressings, Welsh slate and glass roof. Jacobethan style. Triple-
depth plan. Single-storey; 9-bay train-shed fronted by 11-bay office range
with 5-bay porte-cochère further to the front. Plinth. Quoins. Porte-
cochère: arcade of moulded 4-centred arches divided by stepped buttresses.
String with gargoyles, parapet. Inner wall, from left: 3-light mullion and
transom window; leaved door in surround with moulded stop-chamfered jambs
and with moulded corbels supporting lintel; part-glazed leaved door with
similar jambs and 3-light mullioned overlight; 2-light mullion and transom
window; main entrance door with Perpendicular-style traceried panelling and
wicket-door, in hollow-moulded pointed-arched doorway with label. To right
of porte-cochère: three 2-light mullion and transom windows; gabled
slightly-projecting bay with canted-bay window with lead roof; two 2-light
mullion and transom windows. String, parapet. Welsh slate roofs, taller
over porte-cochère. Ashlar copings to left section and also at right end.
Tall ashlar stacks with strings and cornices: square at end left; double-
octagon between bays 2 and 3; lozenge at right end of porte-cochère; single
octagon to left of gabled bay; double-octagon to right of gabled bay.
Behind, glazed 2-span roof of train shed. To left of porte-cochère: single-
storey lower range supporting wrought-iron water tank with roundel bearing
legend "E THOMPSON YORK 1854". Rear elevation of train shed: 9 bays divided
by stepped buttresses. 8 cross windows, the fifth bay blind. Glass roof
over bays 2-8 slightly raised with louvred ventilator below at junction with
Welsh slate roof. Left return: twin openings to train shed, now with C20
glazing below herringbone timber panelling in gables, each with a 2-light
window, a tie-beam decorated with tracery and traceried bargeboards. Right
return: to left, set back, lower gable of office range with 2-light mullion
and transom window; twin gables of train shed with canted-bay window with
stone roof in centre and double mullion and transom window to right.
Interior: rooms in office range retain their panelled doors, cornices and
some fireplaces. Ticket fixture in former ticket office. Shutters to
windows from parcels office onto platform. Train shed: roof valley carried
on octagonal hollow cast-iron columns, one bearing maker's name "JOHN WALKER
YORK" (iron founder to Queen Victoria 1847-1853 and maker of the railings
and gates for the British Museum, 1851). The connecting beams in the form
of 4-centred arches, with flat castings of Perpendicular-Tudor motifs in the
spandrels. Suspension roof to train-shed spans. The station complex at
Richmond forms an important group of railway buildings and is almost
complete, only the goods station and coal-staithes having been demolished.
The passenger station is of outstanding architectural importance, being one
of the best of many good stations designed by G T Andrews for George Hudson
(several now demolished), and executed with particularly high quality
materials and craftsmanship. It formed the terminus of the Richmond branch
line from Darlington. Biddle G & Nock O S, The Railway Heritage of Britain
(1983), p 38; Malden J "The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c1825-1923", York
Historian vol 1 (1976) pp 37-52.
Listing NGR: NZ1765200870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings