History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in North Baddesley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9851 / 50°59'6"N

Longitude: -1.4284 / 1°25'42"W

OS Eastings: 440219

OS Northings: 120793

OS Grid: SU402207

Mapcode National: GBR 75J.5PR

Mapcode Global: FRA 76WH.Z6Z

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Last Amended: 17 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157690

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141133

Location: North Baddesley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO52

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: North Baddesley

Built-Up Area: North Baddesley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: North Baddesley St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Chilworth

Listing Text

NORTH BADDESLEY FLEXFORD ROAD
SU 42 SW
4/17 Manor House
(formerly listed as
29.5.57 Baddesley Manor including
stables and garden wall)

GV II

House, on the site of the Precaptory of the Knights Hospitallers from the mid C12
to 1536. C15, C18, with mid C19 minor alterations and additions. Brick walls of
header bond, rubbed flat arches, blue panels between windows, corner pilasters,
plinth: stone cills; other walls of Flemish and English bond: stucco parapet
with pierced balustrade(of oval strapwork) above a moulded stone cornice. Hipped
slate roof, tile roof to lower wings. Symmetrical west front of 2 storeys and
attic, three windows. The dormers (C19) have pediments, the main windows are
sashes in reveals. Victorian porch of the same style, with stucco balustered
parapet, moulded cornice, corner pilasters, plinth, panelled front door and side
sashes. To the rear of the west front there extends (southwards) a long two
storeyed service wing, of 1.3.3 windows, with a tile roof and brick walls of
English and Flemish bond, ending in two wide cambered (carriage) arches, one now
fitted, the interior of this building has timber framing, of earlier date. The
north elevation of the main block is symmetrical, of two storeys and attic, 2.2
of similar details and three pilasters. Set back to the rear as a lower two-
storeyed east wing is the surviving unit of the medieval group of buildings,
being the kitchen block with a massive chimney breast; externally there is
brick facing, and the north elevation has a Venetian window above two sashes.


Listing NGR: SU4046020644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.