History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wickham, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8996 / 50°53'58"N

Longitude: -1.1832 / 1°10'59"W

OS Eastings: 457533

OS Northings: 111446

OS Grid: SU575114

Mapcode National: GBR 99H.FPL

Mapcode Global: FRA 86DQ.QVB

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146274

Location: Wickham, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Wickham

Built-Up Area: Wickham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wickham

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Wickham

Listing Text

WICKHAM SOUTHWICK ROAD
SU 5711
10/50 Church of St Nicholas
6.3.67
II*

Parish church. C12, C13, south transept 1803, virtual rebuilding of 1862 (by
F & H Francis). Walls of flint with Bath stone dressings; stepped buttresses,
lancets, cusped 2 and 3-light windows, Decorated tracery to the gables of chancel
and transepts: brick walls to south transept. Tile roof. Early English style:
aisleless nave and chancel, north and south transepts, south chapel, west tower
incorporating the entrance. The tower has diagonal buttresses of several steps,
a timber-framed bell stage with shingled broach spire, and a Norman west door
(re-set from an earlier building). Victorian interior with several wall monuments
of the C18 and C19, the chancel has the remains of a C15 table tomb with cusped
panels, the south chapel has a fine wall monument of 1569 (William Uvedale) with
strap work, the south transept has a notable alabaster tomb of 1615 (Sir William
Uvedale) with classical details, arched canopy, male and female effigies, and
kneelers. West gallery, and canopied font.


Listing NGR: SU5799411303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.