History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Langcliffe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0808 / 54°4'51"N

Longitude: -2.2719 / 2°16'18"W

OS Eastings: 382309

OS Northings: 465025

OS Grid: SD823650

Mapcode National: GBR DPK7.YW

Mapcode Global: WHB6K.2PFF

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 13 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324238

Location: Langcliffe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Langcliffe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Langcliffe St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Stainforth

Listing Text

LANGCLIFFE
SD 86 NW
2/1 Church of St John
The Evangelist
II
Parish Church. 1851 by Mallinson and Healey of Bradford. Coursed rock-faced stone,
ashlar dressings slate roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry and boiler
house. Early English style. 3 bay nave with one single-light and two 2-light
trefoil headed windows; stepped buttresses; octagonal bell turret with pyramidal
hood at west gable end, and cruciform finial at east gable end. 2 bay chancel is
narrower and lower than nave; south entrance has chamfered surround, decorated lintel
and plank door; to left is a 2-light trefoil headed window with a cinquefoil above,
to right is single-light trefoil-headed window. Angle buttresses to east end with
a 3-light trefoil-headed window with 2 trefoils and 1 quatrefoil above. Cruciform
finial at east gable end. South entrance porch has pointed arch with hoodmoulds
and decorated stops; plank door and gable end cruciform finial. On north wall is
lean-to vestry at west end of nave and lean-to boiler house against chancel.
Source W A Shuffrey, The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven (1914) pp 223-227


Listing NGR: SD8230965025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.