History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9727 / 54°58'21"N

Longitude: -2.748 / 2°44'52"W

OS Eastings: 352216

OS Northings: 564490

OS Grid: NY522644

Mapcode National: GBR 9B7Y.V6

Mapcode Global: WH7ZS.R8MP

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77966

Location: Walton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Walton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Lanercostwith Kirkcambeck St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Brampton

Listing Text

NY 56 SW WALTON WALTON

10/175 Church of St Mary

G.V. II*

Church. 1869-70, by Paley of Lancaster, (on site of medieval church, rebuilt
1811 and extended 1843). Hammer dressed red sandstone, with ashlar chamfered
plinth, quoins and string courses; graduated slate roof with coped gables, cross
finial and decorative ridge tiles. North-west square tower porch of 3 storeys;
4-bay nave with north aisle; 3-bay chancel. Tower: north entrance has pointed
arch and plank door; pointed bell openings with engaged column surround, have
louvred vents; pyramidal spire, projecting stair tower to west wall. Nave:
steeply pitched roof to north, with projecting eaves, covers north aisle with
small 2 light pointed lancets; south wall has large pointed lancets; 2 large
pointed lancets and rose window to west end. Chancel has triple lancet east
window with hood mould and quatrefoil window above. Interior: vaulted pine
roof to nave and vestry, supported by king posts, each with 4 curved struts.
Pews and other furnishings are late C19 or early C20. C10 or C11 free standing
cross fragment at base of C19 font. White marble wall plaques are all early C19
from the earlier church. Altar frieze is in coloured mosaic in flowing leafy
design of 1880's with alabaster surround. Brass plaques set in floor inside
altar rail are of 1821-1865 commemorating members of the Johnson family of
Walton House (Castlesteads).


Listing NGR: NY5221664490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.