History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brow Top Farmhouse and Adjoining Barns

A Grade II Listed Building in Sebergham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7661 / 54°45'57"N

Longitude: -2.9965 / 2°59'47"W

OS Eastings: 335980

OS Northings: 541692

OS Grid: NY359416

Mapcode National: GBR 7FJB.18

Mapcode Global: WH80M.YG8M

Entry Name: Brow Top Farmhouse and Adjoining Barns

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72483

Location: Sebergham, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Sebergham

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Castle Sowerby St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sebergham

Listing Text

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Sebergham

9/175 Brow Top Farmhouse
and adjoining barns
11.4.67 (formerly King's Arms
Inn, Brow Top)

G.V. II

Farmhouse and adjoining barns; was a public house in C19 and C20. Dated and
inscribed over entrance R. MONKHOUSE FABRICA 1730, incorporating part of a C17
house to rear. Painted roughcast walls with eaves cornice and flush quoins on
chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers;
roughcast chimney stacks. Barns of roughcast walls under sandstone slate
roofs. 2 storeys, 5 bays, with lower barns to left in U-shape. Panelled door
under radial fanlight in bolection surround with keystone frieze under dated
panel. 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, with rounded arches to each light,
to left of entrance. Other ground-floor windows to right have been similar but
replaced by sash windows with glazing bars in original surrounds. Upper-floor
2-light flat stone-mullioned windows with glazing bars. Sash window over
entrance in bolection surround. Rear has one original C17 window, with stone
mullion removed. End wall left shows original roof line of the earlier house.
Interior has inglenook with heck partition and carved late C17 firebeam
(probably from the earlier house) with underside inscription and date 1730.
Barns are partly the same date as the earliest house and entrance nearest house
could have been the cross-passage. Through carriage-arch to left. Interior has
one pair of upper crucks. Right-angled extension is later, now with C20 windows
and openings.


Listing NGR: NY3598041692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.