History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Topthorne Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Whinfell, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3805 / 54°22'49"N

Longitude: -2.6836 / 2°41'0"W

OS Eastings: 355699

OS Northings: 498547

OS Grid: SD556985

Mapcode National: GBR 9KPS.TH

Mapcode Global: WH82Q.R595

Entry Name: Topthorne Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157961

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75754

Location: Whinfell, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Whinfell

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Grayrigg

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Grayrigg

Listing Text


SD 59 NE
7/173
12.2.62

WHINFELL

Topthorne Farmhouse

G.V.
II

Farmhouse. Probably late C17 with early C18 addition and alterations.
Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, 3rd bay probably later.
Dripcourse over ground floor. Ground floor has windows to 2nd and 3rd bays have
casements; windows to 1st floor are sashed with vertical glazing bars and
horns. Gabled porch between 1st and 2nd bays has C20 outer door and
wide-boarded inner door with strap hinges. Gable-end stacks and cross-axial
stack. Left return has 3 dripcourses. Rear has gabled wing with corbelled
gable-end stack; windows have dripstones; lean-to outshut to left return of
wing. Interior has early C18 fielded-panel partition with dado rail and 6-panel
door; some wide-boarded doors. Stair has square newels, turned balusters and
moulded handrail. 2 cupboards with fielded-panel doors, one has round head and
fluted pilasters; inscription: "HWI 1758". Plaster overmantel to room to
extension reads: "HWM/1716" and has flanking stylized grapevines.

Listing NGR: SD5569998547

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.