This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3432 / 51°20'35"N
Longitude: -2.778 / 2°46'40"W
OS Eastings: 345904
OS Northings: 160743
OS Grid: ST459607
Mapcode National: GBR JG.VRXS
Mapcode Global: VH7CN.SHQN
Entry Name: Langford House
Listing Date: 19 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33954
Location: Churchill, North Somerset, BS40
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Churchill
Built-Up Area: Lower Langford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 46 SE CHURCHILL C.P. LANGFORD ROAD, Lower Langford (north
5/86 Langford House
Former Country House, now Bristol University Veterinary School. Circa 1860
central block with south-west 1913 addition and further north-east addition
including belvedere tower. Colourwashed render with dressed stone openings,
exposed dressed sandstone to tower and concealed slate roofs. Italianate style.
2 storeys. East entrance front of 3 bays with pedimented slightly advanced
central section. Rusticated pilasters to ends and defining central bay. Tall
window openings with shouldered and eared architraves and keystones; plate glass
sashes. Central upper window in round-headed surround with female head keystone.
Central projecting early C20 part-glazed porch. Moulded string courses, dentil
eaves cornice and blind parapet with open balustraded sections. Sidney Hill's
coat of arms in pediment, ornamental vases to parapet. Similar features to
south-west wing but north-east wing has Jacobean style parapet and hipped roof
with ironwork fret to ridge. 4 stage belvedere tower with Jacobean style round-
arched viewing stage, bracketted eaves cornice and strapwork parapet. Cast iron
staircase. Interior. Circa 1860 staircase with cast iron balusters and glazed
circular lunette; remainder remodelled in 1913 at the expense of Sidney Hill.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4590460743
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings